hello everyone

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jaelee

hello everyone

Post by jaelee »

Hiyas everyone,

My name is Jae and i just wanted to introduce myself. I currently live in Orlando but will be returning to Edmonton at the end of june. I have a 1959 lambretta (api) series 2 150 and a few mopeds that i'll be bringing back with me. here is a pic

my puch maxi n

and my jc penney swinger

I guess my question is what type of registration requirements are there and what is required to register peds and scoots?[/img]
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

I can't answer your question but just let me say...wow. Neat bikes.
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Sweet!

They will be required to meet equipment standards based on their date of manufacture. I have a copy of the inspection guidelines. You'll have to have "out of province" inspections done. Some things, such as reflectors, can be done "temporarily".

Don't forget that you will also have to satisfy US customs before you can bring them in. It's all on their website.

Please ask us for advice on where to get the inspections done. Some shops are a nightmare to deal with but there are one or two that are sympathetic to older and modified bikes/scoots.

some useful links:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Co ... _final.pdf

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2821.htm

Questions you must be able to answer "yes" to:

Does it have a clearly visible serial number?
(one can be assigned at significant cost)

Does it have a clear and current title (or home state equivalent)?
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

ok so i just rolled into town a few hours ago and i was wondering where i could take my stuff to get the provincial inspection done? Oh and i decided to bring a kitted vespa 100 sport back with instead of the lammy. here's a pic:
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Great, we can have 100 sport races as there are a few in town.

Best place for OPIs on older bikes is:

CycleWorks
5688 - 75 St.

http://www.cycleworks.com/

Easiest to get there when south bound on 75 St.

First you need to bring your import documents to a registry office and they will provide you with the OPI request forms. Take the bikes and the forms to CycleWorks. They'll do the inspection and, provided the bikes pass, give you another form which will let the registry office issue registrations. Of course you will need to arrange insurance beforehand as well.

Now the bad news, Your 100 sport is going to need signals, horn, reflectors and any other missing equipment before it will pass. The other bikes may or may not need the same depending on their year of manufacture. The OPI is a straight pass/fail with no refunds and limited opportunity to sort things out. So make sure the bike are right before getting the OPI request forms as the forms are time limited with no refund.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

ok i have a horn as far as reflectors? where do they need to be placed. Do i need to put blinkers on the front as well as back? It is kitted with a polini 130 kit and has leo vinci exhaust as well as 25mm carb is this going to be a problem as well? sorry for all the questions any clarification is appreciated.

thanks,
jae.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

No problem with the engine mods.

Do you still use the original wiring? If so, then all signal stuff is still there. Buy some cheap signals, install them for the test and then pull them back off after. You will need front signals as well. You could fit bar end signals as they are visible from front and back.

100 sports had orange reflectors on the front and red reflectors as part of the stock tail light:

http://scooterhelp.com/scooters/V9B1T.100.sport.html

Small stick-on reflectors are readily available from industrial/automotive supply stores. Again, easily removable after you pass the OPI.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

errr....well.....it has a turned down stator from a px 200 european model ie cdi. i had a look on the title i have and it says that it's a vespa 100 not a 100 sport. and according to scooter help it says that it does not have a battery nor turn signals. I was wondering if this would be even evidence to say that it does not have turn signals nor a battery.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

What year is on the title.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Then you are going to need signals, reflectors, horn et al. The specification requirements are based on date of manufacture and all bikes after sometime in 1973 were required to have all the extras.

You could check with CycleWorks BEFORE you start the process. Explain your situation and see what they say. However, if they approve a bike that doesn't meet spec, not only are they on the hook to bring it up to spec, they lose their license.

It is possible to temporarily fit separate battery and signals just to get through the test. Heck you could power it with a bunch of dry cells.
Cgreeno

Post by Cgreeno »

If you contact the below person at Alberta Transportation he will tell you exactly what is required for your specific bikes:

Chris Yanitski
780-427-8901
chris.yanitski@gov.ab.ca

Great pics of your bikes and looking forward to meeting you!
Aristotle once said “we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit”.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Unfortunately, no joy there as any bike manufactured after sometime in 1973 has to have signals to pass an OPI. If it was a moped (under 50cc, etc), it would be a different matter.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

well that's a plus, the moped should not be a problem. oh btw.....i look forward to meeting all of you as well.
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Please come to the Calgary Rally July 31-Aug3. We'd love to meet you.
giddyup