hello everyone

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

And Tra Amici this Sunday at 1 PM. Tra Amici is located on 76 Ave and 112 St.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

will do, ummm....you're not the jon collier from the yahoo smallframes groups are you?
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jaelee wrote:will do, ummm....you're not the jon collier from the yahoo smallframes groups are you?
We call him the small frame god, but he does go by the name John as well.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yup, that would be me.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

Lol...you're a celebrity John, So this is what i've decided to do since my 100 sport has a p200e stator plate i'm just going to wire it like a p200e with the blinkers. I talked to service manager at cycleworks and told him that the scoot was converted to an AC system he said that was fine as long it has blinkers, the lights worked, it can brake and the tires were in good condition it would be fine. The moped is going to be another issue, i have to wire in some blinkers and a horn for it to pass....the funny thing is that when they were sold it never had blinkers, not even in canada.....but what are you going to do?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I'll double check the regs. I didn't think that the mopeds had to have signals.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The regulationss are written in an almost incomprehensible way with information on a particular part or system scattered throughout. Yes, a moped must have signals but not if it was manufactured before October 1, 1973 (Motor Vehicle Inspection Program, Inspection Methods and Standards Manual, Motorcycles and Mopeds: section 6, page 6-1, sub-section 3, line c).

Remember that a horn can just be a bulb horn on the left handlebar.

I'll bring the manual on Sunday if you'd like to have a gander through it.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

yea you know it's been a real pain in the ass, i called that guy chris yanitski and he really didn;t know either....according to the transport alberta guide a moped is a completely different class of vehicle ie...motor driven cycle.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Co ... _final.pdf

and according to the moped section of the above pdf file it states that it needs reflectors, a head light, a tail light and a horn. I know for a fact that they sold motobecanes and peugeots into the late 70's as well here and they didn;t have turn signals either and have look at this link:

http://www.peugeotcanada.ca/vs2retro.php

these are the new peugeots being made and being imported into canada there's even a dealer in calgary.

note no turn siganls.....what to do, what to do????
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

sorry i was kinda venting
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I haven't seen a moped with signals either. I think it is just the moron who wrote the OPI regulations that is confused.

Here is the real poop:

Vehicle Equipment Regulation, Alta. Reg. 322/2002

http://www.iijcan.org/en/ab/laws/regu/a ... -2002.html

Particularly:

-----------

Division 3 Turn Signal Lamps

Turn signal lamps

(1) This section applies to a motor vehicle manufactured on or after January 1, 1971.
(2) This section does not apply to a moped.
(3) A person shall not sell, offer for sale, drive or operate a motor vehicle unless it has front and rear turn signal lamps that are visible from both the front and rear.
(4) A person shall not sell, offer for sale, drive or operate a motor vehicle unless it has turn signal lamps that operate on one side of the vehicle at a time.

-----------

You are going to have to convince the inspection branch that they screwed up and then get them to contact CycleWorks so they will not follow that regulation.

Now the only problem that I can see is that I bet your babies might have troubles meeting this requirement:

(iv) does not have sufficient power to attain a speed greater than 50 kilometres per hour on level ground within a distance of 2 kilometres from a standing start,

:-)

Give 'em hell over the signals but keep quiet about the speed!
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

Thanks John,

I think you have just found another fan. I'm not really worried about the speed. I can always swap out the sprockets so that it can't over 70kmph ;).

it'll get to 70kmph really fast but not go beyond that.

btw....who do you guys get your insurance thru? any suggestions?