disassembly

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jenetyx

disassembly

Post by jenetyx »

Hi, someone tipped over my scooter. My very first scooter....and I want to repaint it. Problem is, I don't wanna pay someone at the autobody to take it apart for me, does anyone here know how to disassemble...and wanna teach me how to do it myself, or any good webpages that will give me a good instructional to do it?
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

You could always look into buying the book "How to Restore and Maintain Your Vespa Motorscooter" it pretty much touches on everything about taking them apart (and sometimes putting them back!). It's been a great reference for me on the few occasions I feel comfortable enough to do something on my own.

Not sure what you have though, so maybe that doesn't apply.

I would help if I knew what on earth I was doing. Other than that, someone else here might be able to give you hand.

I also like the website http://www.vespamaintenance.com/ for P-series stuff.

and the folks at http://www.modernvespa.com are also very helpful, for both modern and shifty bikes.

Cheers
All hail Emperor Kang!
queued

Post by queued »

My advice..... bikes are meant to be ridden. The get scratched, it's just a condition of being used. In all honesty, how long is going to be until you get another scratch? Save yourself the grief and ride those battle scars with pride.
jenetyx

Post by jenetyx »

I also need to replace the crack where the rearview mirror and the base meets. Someone pushed it pretty hard and cracked it.

I'd love it, if I ridden my bike and scratched it, not some drunk fool thinking its funny to tip over a parked vehicle.
jenetyx

Post by jenetyx »

and thank you for the links, i'll try to buy that new book.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

What make and model of scooter do you have?
jenetyx

Post by jenetyx »

2008 lx 150
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hey Jen.

The modern bikes are no small bit of work to tear down. You are fighting a metal frame, plastic accouterments and modern wiring. The only book that I have seen that will help is the factory manual for your LX. The other manuals are geared towards vintage bikes. The LX book assumes a large degree of mechanical aptitude.

If you have the said aptitude and a reasonable tool set, go to town. If not, suck it up and pay someone. I would help but I am 2100 km out of your area. Sry.

Best of luck.
T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
bstanish

Post by bstanish »

If the crack around the base of your mirror is on the covering, that is pretty easy to disassemble. Just a couple of screws underneath and some hidden clips inside and at the end of the cover where the grips are. There are a couple good manuals that you can find if you head over to Modern Vespa and search , but as has been said, disassembly isn't the easiest thing as far as the body is concerned. I had my scoot pushed over shortly after getting it, then had it hit while it was parked on Rice Howard Way. It sucks, but unfortunately it happens. My advice would be to maybe fix the the mirror if it is causing you to have issues using it, and just put up with the rest of it, maybe paint little stitch marks/bandaides over the scratches/dents.

I'd offer to help but I'm about 275 km from Edmonton.

Cheers
jgreeno

Post by jgreeno »

Is the sides of the legshield damaged? Or just a scratch/dent on the rear "body." I would take it to a smaller bodyshop, and get them to fill/repair the scratch/dent. Get them to finish it in primer only (it will look grey) and also get them to sand it well enough to be painted (important). Them take a piece off your bike, or drive it to Carlsons Autobody Supply on the south side. They can colour match your paint to a near perfect match, and even make a custom aerosole spray can for you. Then take it home, mask of anything not to be painted and have at er.....

You know what....I used to be in the autobody industry...just send me a PM and I will see if I can help you with this.

James
"The basic rule of human nature is that powerful people speak slowly and subservient people quickly -- because if they don't speak fast nobody will listen to them."
jenetyx

Post by jenetyx »

thanks everyone for the info.

Damn scooter is a hooligan attractant.
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Usually it's the hooligan that's riding XD
All hail Emperor Kang!