scooter or CBR 125?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

DaelimRacer

scooter or CBR 125?

Post by DaelimRacer »

So I have outgrown my little scooter and have decided that it is time to get something larger.

Sadly my budget is limited until I finish up my student loans so I can't get a large motorcycle etc... as well the insurance is markedly cheaper in BC if I can keep it up to a max of 400 cc.

I have a budget max of 2800. So I was thinking likely getting a used bike or scooter.

Some options i have thought of

Honda CBR 125
Yamaha BWS 125
Ninja 250
aprillia scarbeo 200
lambretta 150
pgo t-tex 150

As it use it for commuting and in the city as a primary mode of transport i need something that is quick but also functional for carrying groceries etc... so I wonder about the Honda CBR and ninja

But then again i also would like something to take out on the highway so wonder if the 125 scoots would make it?

I was also considering perhaps some gray market japanese small bikes in the 400 or 350 size. Like the cafe racer style.

Any just wondering if u guys had any thoughts or comments.

Primary concerns are being able to get out on the highway with my girl but also being able to use it for grabbing groceries too. I suppose one can put a trunk on a little CBR.

also would there be much of a difference between a 125 cbr and a 125 scooter?

hope all is well in edmonton
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Highway?

Get the Kawasaki 250.

It's rightly a highly regarded bike and will carry you and your girl with no problems. The CBR125 is also an excellent choice but will not carry two up on the highway very well. It is the best choice for inexpensive, reliable fun.

If you can find a modern 200 scooter, then you're set for the highway and two up. A 150 is a bit small for two.

And, sorry Angelo, I would not have a vintage Lambretta as my only source of transportation unless I was a highly experienced mechanic and enjoyed long walks, pina coladas and getting caught in the rain... etc
Last edited by jbcollier on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jbcollier wrote:Highway?

Get the Kawasaki 250.

It's rightly a highly regarded bike and will carry you and your girl with no problems. The CBR125 is also an excellent choice but will not carry two up on the highway very well. It is the best choice for inexpensive, reliable fun.

If you can find a modern 200 scooter, then your set for the highway and two up. A 150 is a bit small for two.

And, sorry Angelo, I would not have a vintage Lambretta as my only source of transportation unless I was a highly experienced mechanic and enjoyed long walks, pina coladas and getting caught in the rain... etc
I hate it when I can't challenge you on your comments! Well I could challenge you, but sadly would loose!
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
DaelimRacer

Post by DaelimRacer »

Ah i meant the lambretta 150 uno

http://www.lambrettausa.com/Home/UNO150/default.aspx

Looks like a bastardization of the original. But if it comes from the same company then the quality should be good right?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

That's just a cheap Chinese scooter with the Lambretta name taped on. Absolutely nothing to do with the vintage Lambrettas or the company that produced them. Again, a 150 is too small for comfortable two up on the highway. One of the scoots you mention is the Aprillia Scarbeo 200. That would be an excellent choice.
redbike

Post by redbike »

John Collier: "And, sorry Angelo, I would not have a vintage Lambretta as my only source of transportation unless I was a highly experienced mechanic and enjoyed long walks, pina coladas and getting caught in the rain... etc"

Pre-emptive Smack-Down! Must be the start of the riding season!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Smack-down?. I just thought I was working in lyrics of a really bad song from my youth.

;-)
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

nope that was a smack down!

Johnny we might have to meet for some pie so I can get over it!?
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
kenvb

highway

Post by kenvb »

wife has a Yamaha Vino 50 that goes 45 kph
and I just got a TNG Milano 150 that goes 90 kph

both are around town only..

find a Burgman or Silverwing ,they go 140 with 2 on...
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

$2800 buys a bunch of ride! I sold my 1986 650 Savage a few years ago for $1800 (special girlfrend, I gave a deal and husband stole the thing! grrr) My shop said it would sell for $2500. I loved that bike - perfect fit for the height challenged.

Anyhow - they are out there!

I have a Vino 50 & a V-Star 1100 Custom I love them both, but if there's highway travel involved - take the bigger engine with stability and wind shielding.

If it's just around town, not carrying two-ups, tiny is cheap and cheerful. Not a fan of the Chinese scoots - I know someone who's had 2 die, neither more than 2 years old. :(

If the ninja is an option - go for it. Depends on your rush I suppose. My S.O. has a Vespa LX 150, and we saw one advertised in Stony Plain this spring just like it for just $2000!! Even the Honda Elite 250 apparently reliable as can be, even if they don't make them anymore.
=~=~=
2001 Vino YJ50 2-stroke (Just rolled 26,000kms - yes that's right - 26!)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom "Blaze"
2006 new to me Vespa LX150 8,000kms with character
2006 hand-me-down Vespa LX150 33,000kms
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

And if you had kept the savage you could have built this. From a kit no less.

Image[/img]
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?