Aprilia help?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

daniel.larson2

Aprilia help?

Post by daniel.larson2 »

I would say shock and awe, but knowing the finicky nature of this scoot I shouldn't really be surprised... I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide some insights into a problem that began today:

It appears that the back brake of my Aprilia SR50 intermittently seizes of its own volition. Luckily this hasn't happened while riding, but when I stop the scooter, and cut the engine, I can't roll the scooter anywhere. Interestingly, when the scooter is on it's center stand and the engine is on, the back wheel starts turning on its own (quite speedily too!), this also has not previously happened. When stopped at a light with the rear brake engaged, I can hear the squeaking of disc on pad as it appears the rear wheel is fighting with its own brake, by wanting to go forward. Is my scoot of two minds? At once wanting to go and also refusing to?

Any thoughts would be welcome, or if anyone is interested to take a peek at it, I can repay in beer and thanks!

Cheers!
Sip another rum and coke, told a dirty joke.
nick

Post by nick »

I'm no expert, but I would possibly suspect your clutch as the problem. Sounds like its not dis-engaging when it should.. That's just a guess. Wiser minds will have input.
jaelee

Post by jaelee »

yes...maybe the clutch bell needs to be greased ;) seriously, i would check the clutch, the dust from the clutch pads could be causing some havoc. and while you have the case open check the belt and and the variator face and pulley to make sure they are smooth.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Ditto on the clutch, especially as it won't roll with the engine off. Probably best to have another in hand when you take it apart.
daniel.larson2

Post by daniel.larson2 »

Thanks for the feedback! Does anyone have experience working with the clutch systems on twist-and-go scoots?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

It basically a set of brake shoes that rotate with the engine. When the centrifugal force on the shoes exceeds the springs holding them in place, the shoes move and lock to the clutch bell transmitting drive to the belt.
akrticic

Post by akrticic »

Hey Daniel
I remember last time I worked on your scoot, the clutch is the only thing that wasn't replaces. I'd start there, check the pads and springs on the clutch. Just as a precaution, you may have a air in break lines. Bleed them and that should take care of that. Also check the levels of break fluid.
Here is the link for breaks :
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... rake-Fluid

Clutch removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INxaxET ... r_embedded
daniel.larson2

Post by daniel.larson2 »

Thanks Alen! Good call on the air in the brake lines.