Sparkle Motion's lack of Spark.

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

LibertineAudrey

Sparkle Motion's lack of Spark.

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Had some trouble tonight while headed home...

The spark plug boot came off mid-ride , and does not seem to want to sit snugly on the spark plug anymore. I had to bungee it down and ride with my cowl off. It was very not-cool.

Anyway I can get parts locally, or are they sized just for Vespas, or is there another easier fix??? Doesn't seem to be a major problem, seeing as I diagnosed it all by myself, but I'm still not exactly sure how to rectify it.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.
All hail Emperor Kang!
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

I had the boot and terminal jump off mine a few times and I've decided to carry some duct tape with me at all times; I tape the boot to the cylinder showd.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Most motorcycle shops have spark plugs "caps" in stock. In your case you want a short 90° one like this:

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_85173000

Look at your plug. It will have an end like this (bobbin style):

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com ... lug_--.jpg

or this (threaded end)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Etyv-UeeG9M/T ... ug_284.jpg:

Get a spark plug cap to suit. They'll have both.
nick

Post by nick »

Do you have a preference to any type? Audrey has the threaded style, whereas I have the bobbin style on mine. Re-use the spark plug wire, or is that something that should be changed out as well?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The spark plug wire is "solid core" (wire core) and can be re-used as long as the insulation is not cracked or damaged. The spark plug cap just "screws" into the wire: very easy to change.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

No preference for bobbin or threaded. Perhaps the threaded style is slightly more secure.
nick

Post by nick »

Ok, perfect. I suspected the cap just threaded on like how the wire threads into the CDI. We'll probably take it with us to make sure we get the right one. Thanks!!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

"I suspected the cap is just threaded on like how the wire threads into the CDI."

Yup!
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Nick's so smart!!!!!! :D
All hail Emperor Kang!
nick

Post by nick »

Argyll Motorsports didn't have the proper plug cap. They told us to go to NAPA, they as well didn't have the proper part. We might order them from scooterwest if its the same story at Alberta cycle..
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I went down and searched the tickle trunk and found one that will work. Bought it at Cycle Works a few years back. Why? I can't remember. It's opposite -- long where you need short -- but it will do until the real thing comes along. I'll bring it tomorrow.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Not much help from here but my spark plug boot shattered last week. I hit three auto parts stores with no luck even though it was a standard NGK boot. Local scooter shop had what I needed. 3 bux.

You might want to hit a couple more cycle shops. Riverside in St Albert comes to mind. And my .02 about threaded vs bobbin. I have worn out multiple (3) bobbin style caps. They just vibrate and wear the bobbin down enough that it starts to rattle and wear out the boot. Haven't had that happen with the threaded ones. Its a lone wire across the threads that holds it in place and it doesn't look like it wears out.

You might have guessed, I ride a lot. Since April 1 I have driven my car to work twice. I wear stuff out.

Good luck
T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

My spark plug boot blew off on Saturday during the Apocalypse rally too!

Conspiracy!

I found with my plug, that the top of the spark plug screwed off! Mine's a 2-in-1 model. (Ok, Ok, I found out after I installed the sucker, couldn't get the cap back on, was busy panicking like my hair was on fire, looked at the old plug, cursed the retailer for selling me the wrong one, compared part #'s - they were the same, then thought… hmmmm what if… And LO… the heavens opened and the sun shone, the damn thing screwed right off.)
=~=~=
2001 Vino YJ50 2-stroke (Just rolled 26,000kms - yes that's right - 26!)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom "Blaze"
2006 new to me Vespa LX150 8,000kms with character
2006 hand-me-down Vespa LX150 33,000kms