2006 Derbi Atlantis Bullet Speedo off by a lot

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Gonzo71

2006 Derbi Atlantis Bullet Speedo off by a lot

Post by Gonzo71 »

Hey new guy here again. As mentioned before I go my daughter a Detbi Atlantis Bullet for her b-day?

I took the Bulet out for a test run and found the speedo is off by around 20kph. Now that is a lot. I used my Garmin GPS to verify.

Does anybody know if this can be callibrate?

Thx

Carsten
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Sounds about accurate to me :lol:

Can't actually help you though, sorry.

Really though, as far as I know, it's a "thing" for scooter speedos to be less than honest.
All hail Emperor Kang!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

It is possible to calibrate, anything is possible, but it would not be cheap to have done and probably not easy to do. It can be done, however. You have to disassemble the speeedo and increase/decrease the indicator needle return spring tension to make it more accurate.

The fact it is off, and by quite a bit, is not unusual. They usually read high. The old speedo in my 100 sport would bury the needle flat out. It would actually disappear off the other side for an indicated 140+. Actual speed was 118 kph.

Frankly I would not worry about it. On a stock 50, you just go as fast as you can and, hopefully, flow with the traffic.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I never know how fast I'm going, just go with what feels right...
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Gonzo71

Post by Gonzo71 »

The scoot is for my 14 year old who only got a learners. I want her to learn the right way.

I guess I will just make some little number stickers, test with my GPS and put them over the speedo.

My own scooter days are over....I just got me a bike...pick up tomorrow. Yahooooo.