Question

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Sowelu

Question

Post by Sowelu »

So being new to this whole shifty scooter thing has been quite the learning experience. i.e. what boots to buy for my centre stand, what type of oil cup, etc.

Now I've hit a snag that I've never experienced with my TnG. Twice now Tiki has not wanted to start, so I give her another kick and she backfires (or at least a loud pop) and then starts. There is a part of me that thinks this is not normal even for a shifty scoot.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I can remember 2 maybe 3 times over the years that i've owned it, it not starting right away then the backfire like pop and it running after that. I never gave it much thought or cared too much since it happened so little and so far between.

It shouldn't be happening too often for sure. My guess it floods on the first or second attempt to start and then poping on the 3 or 4th kick.

I don't remember checking the carb mounting screws this spring or the air filter ring. Sorry about that. Maybe they are loose and we got some intake leaks.

Lets schedule a time to meet up and we'll go through it again.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... Cup-2-/442

These are slick and very easy to use.
nick

Post by nick »

I only know from my Rally and Audrey's P200. On a cold engine this is my process.
1. Turn fuel on.
2. Pull out choke fully.
3. Kick engine over twice.
4. Turn on ignition.
5. Kick start the engine

It starts the first kick with the ignition on every time. Then I let it run for a few seconds with the choke out until it starts to die, then I push it in and let it continue to warm up while I put my helmet and gloves on. On a warm/hot engine this is a different story and this process would probably flood it.. This is just my method, and may not work for you or be the best for your scoot.

It's also a good practice to turn off your fuel tap any time you stop.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Thanks for the info!

Kevin, the exact same oil cup arrived yesterday from Scooter West. It turns out UPS overnight was way cheaper than mailing the new boots and oil cup. Good thing I called. Thanks for the tip Bradley.

You are right about what is happening Kevin. It's only happened twice so far. When I get back from Victoria I'll get in touch with you to go over those bits. So far she is running great! I'm having so much fun, even if she is not as fast as my Derbi. :wink:

Nick, I'm having nightmares right now of not turning the fuel off. I have those moments when I think "did I REALLY turn the fuel off or did I imagine it". Do those thoughts ever go away? I may have to try your system on cold days to see if it works.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yeah, the nightmares go away. You'll just forget just like everyone else does and come back a few hours later and then remember that you left the shutoff on. Opps.

If it doesn't start after an episode, usually a sparkplug change to a dry clean one fixes it pretty quick. Or sometimes one can push/bump start it. The first little bit of the push/bump start will dump the extra fuel out into the exhaust then after it starts you got to rev/baby the throttle to keep it from stalling again.

I don't recommend learning any of this on the fly at a rally.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

hahahahahaha .... learning on the fly is how all good scooterist are made ... or so I've been told. :lol:

Good to know that the nightmares do go away. I'm getting tired of triple checking the fuel thingy. (Thingy - my new technical scooter word).

Shannon
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Most carbs will not flood if the gas is left on so don't panic. If it does, a new needle and seat will usually solve the problem. Do what the pilots do and follow a check list. Put a small sticker on your "dash" with the letters F I N:

F (fuel)
I (ignition)
N (neutral)

Shutting down is the reverse.

Just so you feel better, the most common cause of private planes crashing is forgetting to turn the fuel on. They have enough fuel to taxi and start flying, and then...
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Whew, the worse I could do is roll to a stop if I forget to turn the fuel on. :lol:

Shannon
nick

Post by nick »

Be careful with UPS shipping from the US to Canada. Using their ground services they will charge you a brokerage fee plus a $10 duty/tax bond fee along with whatever tax is owed. Their Wordwide services include free brokerage, but you will still be invoiced for the $10 bond fee along with any tax/duty.

I bought a leather jacket from Mexico this spring and researched all of this so I wouldn't be surprised. They won't charge you at the time of delivery, but will rather send you an invoice in the mail.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... VAN7000411
djtrane

UPS brokerage fees

Post by djtrane »

I had a windscreen shipped up from SF, and they used UPS.

When it arrived, I found out the brokerage fees were outrageous relating to the cost I paid for the screen.

I made a fuss, the depot made a call, her and I discussed, her manager and I discussed, finally they knocked the fees down.

Any time I purchase gear from the States, I ask them to ship by anybody than UPS.

Just sayin'
2006 Piaggio Fly 150
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Brokerage was only $13 and all parts and bits arrived prior to the Victoria rally. I was willing to pay the $13 so that I had all the stuff I needed before leaving.

BTW ... Victoria rally was AMAZING!

Shannon