Sunday May 19

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Sunday May 19

Post by jbcollier »

I'll be at the Italian Centre (95th & 108th) at 10 a.m. and at the west end Wild Earth Cafe (142nd & 86th) at 1 p.m. Riding in between.
nick

Post by nick »

We'll be there. Weather permitting of course.
redbike

Post by redbike »

Catch up at the later rendezvous, weather permitting.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Very nice ride with a tragic ending.

Don's Fly 150 died when we stopped at the old Tra Amici location (now Enzo's). Dead battery combined with a loose rear wheel. My trailer was tied up so Don had to walk his scoot to my place (thought we were going to lose him: wan was the word when he finally arrived).

Got the wheel off and it was obviously left loose after a tire change sometime in the past. The wheel is toast. Hopefully just a new wheel will sort it out. The axle is made of much harder steel and usually survives this sort of punishment. We'll see when the new wheel arrives. No luck finding a Fly rear wheel but an ET4 one will fit and the exhaust hides the different styling.

The battery was dead and I figured it was toast as well. I plunked it on my high-zoot charger (the one that can zap sulphated cells) and left it to do it's stuff. Orange light all through the day and evening but I awoke to a green light this morning. Back in the scoot and it started like a champ (noisy with no exhaust) and the charging system quickly rose to 14.0 volts with the headlight on (no complaints there) so we should be OK.
nick

Post by nick »

Thats good! I never had problems on my Derbi, but Karl has a Fly150 and he had a battery that was bad. The stator in the scoot could never get it charged enough. Nothing much happened at Wild Earth. Brad showed up right as we were leaving.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Damn, that's bad luck, but better luck that it was discovered before something tragic could have happened. Good thing Don joined us for a ride.
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
djtrane

Post by djtrane »

Until that happened, it was a really fun day!

Pushing it to John's place was a little brutal, but I am very grateful of his oasis for a troubled scoot. The next day, I felt like I was beaten all night with a hockey stick :(

After a bit (okay, a lot) of online searching, I ended up back home with AB Cycle where I was able to special order a new OEM wheel, which is surprisingly difficult to find. Should be here in a week or so.

While doing my research, I came across this site:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/shoponline.htm

which seems to be some sort of central website for online motorcycle and scoot businesses. Don't know if you all have seen this, but I thought I should put it up here.
2006 Piaggio Fly 150
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The last of Don's parts finally came in! Couldn't find a new rear wheel for love nor money. The silly bunts used a different size of rear wheel on the Fly 150 than on the ET4/LX150. Thankfully found a good used on the auction site that dare not say its name.

So: rear wheel, spark plug and a battery and she's buttoned up and gone. Maybe see her out today?