Steering Head Nut

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

nick

Steering Head Nut

Post by nick »

So the steering head nut has come loose on Audrey's P200 again. Its got a wicked shimmy because of the play. I see that some people use a specialized hook spanner or something. Last time you guys tightened it up for her, I remember you tightening it with a drift and a mallet. I tried lightly, but didn't whack it much as I was afraid of mucking the nut up. From what I see and have read, there are two nuts on the column. One is the bearing race, then a notched spacer washer, then the locknut. They've all migrated a tad and have caused the play. What would be your suggestions?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

- put a 2 x 4 under the centre stand to lift the front wheel right off the ground.

- loosen and remove the headset pinch bolt and nut.

- lift up the headset to expose the steering nuts.

- use a drift and a hammer to loosen the top nut.

- turn the bottom nut until it is "snug".

- back off the bottom nut a 1/4 turn.

- tighten the top nut using the drift, make it tight.

- move the fork from side to side.

- it shouldn't feel crunchy but it should feel slightly stiff.

- free to move side to side with no resistance? Loosen the upper nut and tighten the lower a wee bit more and try again.

- too stiff and "notchy"? Loosen the upper nut and loosen the lower a wee bit and try again.

- reattach the headset and tighten the pinch bolt -- not too tight, they can crack.

- wiggle the handlebars side to side, up and down. There should be no play.

- ride over a bumpy section -- I know, hard to find in Edmonton. There should be no clunks.
nick

Post by nick »

Done and done. First adjustment still had a little play that showed while riding. One more small adjustment and it seems good now. Nice fluid side to side steering, but no more play or shuddering while braking. Thanks!