Hello Vespa friends!!

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Papagirl

Hello Vespa friends!!

Post by Papagirl »

Hey everyone! I'm new to the Vespa community. I purchased a 2021 Vespa sprint 50 and I'm in love ❤️. I've been looking for certain aftermarket parts here and there....so far SIP seems to have a great selection! However I do have a couple questions/reccomendations!

I was told you can derestrict the 50cc so you can up your speed to 80km.... True? If so, who can do this? In the same breath, I've been told you need something called a bore kit? Where can this be purchased and installed?

Looking for a mechanic shop that won't break the bank? (not Alberta cycle)

Thanks!
jbcollier

Re: Hello Vespa friends!!

Post by jbcollier »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes it is possible to derestrict the Vespa 50. In some countries, dealers can set the CDi to "test" mode but not in Canada AFAIK. You have to change the CDi unit to an aftermarket one. This removes the speed limit but does nothing to increase performance.

Things can also be improved by fitting an aftermarket variator and clutch. Lastly you can fit a larger cylinder kit.

The first mod will let you creep above 45-50 kph. The second will add a bit more acceleration. The last will get you comfortably in the 70-ish kph range.

All that said, it's a better idea to simply buy a 125-150cc (or larger) Vespa. You get the performance you are after in a stock, easy to service years from now, package. Yes, you will have to get a class 6 license but that is a good idea as the training is very useful at keeping you safe on the road.

Regardless, come out to one of our Sunday meets!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Here's an example of a simple "derestriction kit" that "may" work on your scoot. Do note the minimal gains:

https://www.racing-planet.com/cdi-unit- ... 914-1.html

Note that this would give you non-standard parts that would have to be tracked down when doing future servicing.
Last edited by jbcollier on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

All shops are expensive as labour and overhead costs are high. I can show you how to do basic maintenance tasks such as oil changes, etc and you can do it yourself there on in.
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Thank you!

Well.... Buying a higher cc is not an option as I just got mine brand new haha. I love it and it's perfect for my commute to work but would definitely consider some mods just to up the speed limit a bit... I just don't know where to go for parts and who can install these sorts of things! Appreciate all the info as well.

Yes a ride would be great!! If I can keep up with you guys that is.... Hehe

jbcollier wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 am Welcome to the forum!

Yes it is possible to derestrict the Vespa 50. In some countries, dealers can set the CDi to "test" mode but not in Canada AFAIK. You have to change the CDi unit to an aftermarket one. This removes the speed limit but does nothing to increase performance.

Things can also be improved by fitting an aftermarket variator and clutch. Lastly you can fit a larger cylinder kit.

The first mod will let you creep above 45-50 kph. The second will add a bit more acceleration. The last will get you comfortably in the 70-ish kph range.

All that said, it's a better idea to simply buy a 125-150cc (or larger) Vespa. You get the performance you are after in a stock, easy to service years from now, package. Yes, you will have to get a class 6 license but that is a good idea as the training is very useful at keeping you safe on the road.

Regardless, come out to one of our Sunday meets!
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Thanks! That's very nice of you.

That brings me to my next question.... Where can I source a amber rear turn signal bulb? I'm having a hard time finding one in town.

jbcollier wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:40 am All shops are expensive as labour and overhead costs are high. I can show you how to do basic maintenance tasks such as oil changes, etc and you can do it yourself there on in.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

What's the bulb's part number?