Malossi kit?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Papagirl

Malossi kit?

Post by Papagirl »

Hi guys!

I had asked someone about bumping up the speed on my 2021 50cc Sprint and was told this is what I'd need in order to do so....can anyone confirm this? Also would I need any other parts as well? Not really looking at boosting acceleration so much as just gaining some speed.

https://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/01-m ... valve-iget
Papagirl

Re: Malossi kit?

Post by Papagirl »

I'm not sure if my link works.... Hopefully it does though
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

that seems to be the correct part number, scooter west lists the same part to be used.
you;ll also need a new CDI that is matched to the new engine size.

be aware of the amount of work this is.
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Yes... I'd like to find a local mechanic who could quote me so I get an idea on cost.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Lets just guess at some numbers here, keep in in mind i have NEVER taken an engine out of a 2021 sprint.
i'm also guessing that a shop would charge by the hour and not a flat rate for this type of modification.

Guessing
2 to 3 hours to get the engine out
1 to 2 hours to swap the cylinder and piston (maybe more depending how difficult the valve train is)
2 to 3 hours to put the engine back in
1 hour to swap the CDI

plus what ever one needs for testing etc...
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I've done it on an LX50. No need to pull the engine but you do have to disconnect the shock and swing the engine down a long way.

Kevin is absolutely right that you still have to de-restrict it as well.

I can do the work BUT I have an enormous backlog right now. Late spring at the earliest. And, this is all your idea, not mine, and done to your spec. No guarantees on my part you will be happy with the result. The work will be good but I did not design the kit. Lastly, these mods will invalidate your warranty.
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Thank you for your input!

Kevin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:53 am Lets just guess at some numbers here, keep in in mind i have NEVER taken an engine out of a 2021 sprint.
i'm also guessing that a shop would charge by the hour and not a flat rate for this type of modification.

Guessing
2 to 3 hours to get the engine out
1 to 2 hours to swap the cylinder and piston (maybe more depending how difficult the valve train is)
2 to 3 hours to put the engine back in
1 hour to swap the CDI

plus what ever one needs for testing etc...
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Oh, you're a mechanic?

Spring time would be a perfect timeline for me to be quite honest.... I'm in no rush at the moment. Let me know ballpark what you'd charge? You can DM me if you'd like. Also, I wouldnt expect anyone that's installing it to be responsible for the performance of it haha.... Just need someone competent to do the work is all.
jbcollier wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:59 pm I've done it on an LX50. No need to pull the engine but you do have to disconnect the shock and swing the engine down a long way.

Kevin is absolutely right that you still have to de-restrict it as well.

I can do the work BUT I have an enormous backlog right now. Late spring at the earliest. And, this is all your idea, not mine, and done to your spec. No guarantees on my part you will be happy with the result. The work will be good but I did not design the kit. Lastly, these mods will invalidate your warranty.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yup, retired after 35 years of pulling wrenches. Come on out to a Sunday meet and we can discuss your scoot.
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Sounds good! Do you guys meet every Sunday even during winter season? My scoot is now put away for the winter unfortunately 😭
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Most Sundays. Watch the board for the current plans. Next week, for example, I’m busy Sunday working on adapted bikes for children with special needs. Through out the winter we meet most Sundays at Toast Culture downtown at 10am.
Papagirl

Post by Papagirl »

Ok sounds good! I work shift work, but next time I have a Sunday off I'll check out the forum for the next meet!