Vespa repair

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

cb89

Vespa repair

Post by cb89 »

Hello, new to the scooter world and happy to be here. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for shops that tune up/service vespas in south edmonton? Thank you in asvance!
jbcollier

Re: Vespa repair

Post by jbcollier »

Welcome!

Can you give us details on your scoot? Year, model, mileage, issues?

Cheers,

John
cb89

Post by cb89 »

Hey, the scooter is a 2008 vespa s150.
Mileage is 7500km.
I purchased used last month, wanted to tune up before taking my 6 with it. Took it to alverta cycle for new belt and tires... was returned to me with a horrible sound coming from it... almost like metal clanking from the motor/belt area... especially when it leans a little, so im trying to find somewhere else reliable and reputable that can take a look at it.
cb89

Post by cb89 »

Hey, the scooter is a 2008 vespa s150.
Mileage is 7500km.
I purchased used last month, wanted to tune up before taking my 6 with it. Took it to alberta cycle for new belt and tires... was returned to me with a horrible sound coming from it... almost like metal clanking from the motor/belt area... especially when it leans a little, so im trying to find somewhere else (edit: in the south) reliable and reputable that can take a look at it.

Should add to my edit, that they are going to bring it back to take a second look at it which im happy about, but Im still interested in hearing if anyone has any suggestions for places in south edmonton should the issue persist. Thanks.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Sigh, I don’t know what’s up with Alberta Cycle. They have good people, the owner is enthusiastic, but the service and parts people have no interest in maintaining or fixing the scooters they sell. I’ve heard many similar stories to yours, unfortunately.

If they can’t, or won’t, fix it properly, I can help you out. I’m absolutely not available until mid-September, and I have other pots on the boil. That said, hopefully it is an assembly issue, not something broken. If so, it should be an easy fix. I have some of the special parts already to hand. Let us know how it works out.
cb89

Post by cb89 »

I truly appreciate the reply. This has been somewhat of a headache and as a new vespa owner - i keep debating whether i made a mistake to purchase this bike this year. I had intended on using it to do my 6 in august.

So they ended up taking the bike back in after admitting that they didnt test ride it before delivering it. They had my bike in for a belt replacement/tire replacement/oil change/spark plug job. They called me to let me know it was the gear assembly that was now broken and that the they never worked near the gear assembly so it must have broken the moment i drove it. I dont know bikes so i agreed and we discussed having the issue fixed and a fixed amount for the repair... 82$

Low and behold, today i am called as the bike is fixed and its $321... definitely more than the 82$ i was told about. The bill includes another charge for an oil change and spark plugs. Service seemed confused, as did i, and advised i yet again speak with the manager about our prior conversation. This place seems so messy and its reviews are living up to the claims.

Im hoping to be able to just pay this today and get my bike back.
As much as i want to love alberta cycle - i feel my experience has left a sour taste in my mouth.

I would love it if i could connect with someone in the community who can repair vespas - especially if anything pops up in the future on this ole girl, or perhaps for a spring tune up.

I am located in the south. Also to anyone reading, i would love to connect with other riders! New to the city and excited to explore :) will be writing my 6 within the next week or so.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Did they give you the parts? Or, did they list the part number on the invoice?

We meet most Sundays (bit hit and miss this summer). Come on out, even if you're in a car. Doesn't matter.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Did they give you the parts? Or, did they list the part number on the invoice?

We meet most Sundays (bit hit and miss this summer). Come on out, even if you're in a car. Doesn't matter.
Kawi_girl

Post by Kawi_girl »

Hey cb86!

Just curious if you got your Vespa back? Hope so, yet Alberta Cycle should have honored the first agreed upon payment. I hear you on wanting to love Alberta Cycle…I’ve had some experiences there myself (not all bad yet some definitely questionable)and need to take my Vespa in this fall for a warranty issue. It’s shaking in fear in the garage right now after reading your story…

Hope your outcome was favourable in the end.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yup, she is all sorted and was riding it with us this Sunday. The problem was the starter bendix gear. I haven't seen the old one but I strongly suspect the mechanic messed up.