Winter?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jamoo

Winter?

Post by jamoo »

Hey everyone -

Haven't made it out to any rides yet, but hopefully we'll make it out to the Toy Run. I was just wondering about any tips for the cold weather. How long does everyone usually go? Any tips for winterizing? Any recommended gear to extend the riding season?

Thanks!
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I'm going to pirate this thread a little bit, and ask if anyone also might have suggestions on what I need to do to store my scooter for the winter.

That said, I plan on riding until it snows...which could be 2 months, or 2 days. The only thing I've learned so far from riding in the cold (-2 at night being the coldest I've gone yet) is put about 3 more layers on than you think you'll need. John mentioned that you can get a heated vest, I might invest in one of those.
All hail Emperor Kang!
jamoo

Post by jamoo »

I find my hands get the coldest (-1* in the morning). I've already got my usual gloves on, with a pair of running gloves underneath, but they're like icicles by the time I get to work.
redbike

Post by redbike »

LibertineAudrey wrote:I'm going to pirate this thread a little bit, and ask if anyone also might have suggestions on what I need to do to store my scooter for the winter.
Change your oil and filter. Pump your tires up to the maximum pressure and get them both off the ground. Wash and wax your scoot and cover it up (you are parking indoors aren't you?) to keep crap from your winter-driven vehicles off it. Fill your gas tank up completely and add fuel stabilizer to it as directed. Either pull your battery and store indoors, or hook it up to a battery tender that has smart circuitry (won't overcharge battery).
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

find my hands get the coldest
Short of getting heated grips or powered gloves, I find this helps a bit if you are travelling a distance at speed. Get your throttle to where you want it and hold it there with your thumb and the palm of your hand. Lay your fingers across the brake lever. This has the effect of reducing the surface area of your hand that is getting the brunt of the wind. It also prevents your hands from "freezing" into a claw and making brake manipulation difficult.

Modrey may have this really neat scooter skirt for sale that would certainly extend your season. And I use a buff around my neck and head to stay warm. If you are at all electrically inclined it is relatively simple to install a power point in the newer vespas that would let you plug in a heated vest.

And finally, mods have been sporting fishtail parkas to stay warm since lambrettas were still considered cool :twisted: :twisted:. Oh wait, they never really went fast enough to generate a windchill. Nevermind. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Keep the shiny side up. (for as long as is considered safe)
Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Just to add to John's storage suggestions, run the scoot for a bit after adding the fuel stabilizer so that the carb is protected too.

Me? I drain my tanks and carbs before putting them away. I also pull the plug and add a few squirts of oil to keep things free.

Now to keeping yourself warm:

Nothing beats a heated vest period. I have been riding at -27°C and been toasty warm. Most scoots don't have much of a electrical system though. You can auxilary battery packs that are good for an hour or so.

Failing that, get snowmobile muffs. Great big fuzzy "boots" that fit over your handlebars and keep your fingers warm and draft free. Layer up well and use neck gaiters and what have you to plug the gaps.

Might have more ideas but I am too tired to remember them.
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

It's true...I do have a scooter skirt for sale... Buy now before I get around to slapping that puppy on ebay!! I'd use it, but it's faaaaaaaar to awesome for the likes of me.
All hail Emperor Kang!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I'm from the old school of drain thy tank and carb.
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

I would like to add that cold plus moisture creates some incredibly slippery conditions. Especially in the early morning. It's always coldest before the dawn. I caution all winter riders to take it easy; proceed slower, corner slower, leave lots of space between you and the cars around you, and pretend everything wet is ice because it just might be and probably is.

I assume everything is ice and therefore forget about the front brake from October onwards. You cannot control a front wheel skid anything as close to what you are able with the rear. The front has move stopping power assuming it has grip with the road. But the front will have you kissing the pavement fast on ice and gravel.

Steel toe high top boots should be as mandatory as donning a helmet from October through April. Feet will act as rudders when going down no matter what you tell them to do. Lighter scooters (50cc, plastic) are easier to keep up and don't have the same wallop, although all can hurt.

Scooter Skirt seems like a great idea to stay warm, no manner what it looks like. You already look like an idiot riding in the cold.

Doing up your fishtail not only keeps your ass dry, but prevents cold wind from leaching up and inside your jacket. I tell you that Fishtail is a remarkable item of clothing.

Windscreen makes any winter ride way more comfortable. I can't stress this enough. It's like rye, only better at keeping one upright while under it's influence.

Torrie Dej had problems with her heated grips blowing fuses or something. I forget exactly. I think the smaller Vespa just couldn't handle the power draw, but maybe it was problems with the installation. But I've not known of anyone with problems installing electric vests except for remembering to unplug it BEFORE getting off scooter. I find hot pockets cheap warmth for inside boots and gloves.

If you are really cold, pull over and warm up. You are a hazard if you're shivering and unable to concentrate on riding. A hazard to yourself and everyone else. Be warm. Be comfortable. Be safe.
giddyup
teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

Just wanted to clarify, that I have not had any problems with the heated grips...none, the problems with my bike were from other issues. The heated grips are cats ass!! regarless of being mocked for being a wimp I love them, and any one else that that has used that bike loves them too!!
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Torrie,
Could that have been Monty with heated grip probs?
giddyup
teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

might have been, but it wasnt me....
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Porperly installed, heated grips are no problem. However, the throttle side can be a little tricky what with it rotating and all. They are nice though but I would rate a heated vest ahead of heated grips.

All of this is moot if your charging system can barely run your headlight.