The rebuild continues..

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Angelo

The rebuild continues..

Post by Angelo »

Thanks John for the extra set of experienced hands. I felt it was fitting that you helped nestle the engine that you helped me rebuild into it's craddle.

Most of the rear goodies are now mounted, engine, shock, rear hub/wheel and exhaust with no damage to the newly completed paint. Not like I would have cared if we had a few nicks or scrapes because this will be my daily rider, or beater ride and I don't care what happens to it :shock:
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
redbike

Wiring runs you'll need for horn:

Post by redbike »

Have you thought out your harness and horn location for the Stebel?

See: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/ ... _kits.html for example of good harness. Separate run back to battery, and then to relay (required or you'll fry your horn button). Fused, etc. larger core wire (12awg) is helpful at the draw the horn will provide. Have a look there for what you'll need to build.

General install: http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=110273284421

You have to mount this horn within 15 degrees of the horn section facing down, otherwise you'll have long term problems with the horn malfunctioning - it looses its poop over time. Mount it correctly and your golden.

Will require some thought as to how you're going to mount the horn inside legshield or motor enclosure. Some success with pipe-type clamps. See posts here: http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=110270744438
Last edited by redbike on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Ummmm....No I haven't thought that out! Your scaring me. This scooter like all my others doesn't have a battery. Now I'm not even sure I can run one of these on my project :oops:

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I thought you were going to mount a battery in the glovebox for the lights? You don't need to as the lights will work on AC. This horn won't, however.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Ok good to know. Electrical work is a mistery to me....I will use the horn on my Honda then...

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Or your Yamaha SRX!!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Don't tell (my soon not to be so happy) my wife (If she finds out) but I have actively started to find my old bike. I know she lives in the northend somewhere. It may take years it may take months but I will not rest until she's in my garage....after all I will need time to run power and running water into my garden shed, my soon comfy home....

- Dustin Kott-
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Hey John,
I decided to change something up with the steering bearings on the Lambretta. I was reading about a racer trick on the MBD site that many have used with great success, as far as improving the steering feel on a Lambretta. The trick is to remove the lower steering bearings from their housing ( you need too buy 2 bearings) and to set them in place around the Lower bearing race with the use of lots of grease. Slowly ease the fork into the frame, tighten the top bearing in place and there you go.

I'll let you know how it works out when the parts arrive.

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yup, loose balls is a good way to go. Don't pack them in tight though. You need a little space so they move around. With the balls in a cage they tend to always be in the same position so road shocks gradually "indent" the races -- called bernelling. With loose balls, they are always changing position slightly so the races fare better.