Anybody out today?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Anybody out today?

Post by jbcollier »

Not me, the studded 10" tires are still on back order.

I am puttering about with the Suzuki. Overhauled the forks -- new fork tubes from England! -- and installed them yesterday. It is starting to look like a real motorcycle now.

Today I am finishing the carb overhaul/transplant. 1978 was the first year of emission controls and Suzuki used a weird set of stepped idle mixture screws. They also changed the idle screw thread size so you can't swap in ones out of an earlier carb. Naturally all these parts are now unobtanium as well which complicates things thirty years down the road.

So I bought a set of carbs from 1977 GS400 and am building them up with the best parts of the two carbs sets and the new parts that I can get for the 1977. It ran fine before but it will now be easier to set up the idle mixture.

I also picked up yet another on how to book on jet 2 stroke carbs. I think the ability to jet carbs is inversely proportional to the ability to write coherently. And these glorified pamphlets are not cheap either: $40!

However, there is always a gem or two salted away in them. Every bit gain is to the good. I am going to have to start writing them down though as my memory just ain't what it used to be.

I am also looking into getting a EGT gauge set. That way we can dial in our mains with out peering incomprehensibly at our red hot spark plugs.

I have been using an ultra-sonic cleaner (large) to clean my carbs bits and bodies. Oddly it seems to work best with a concentrated mixture of dish soap and water. I tried it with solvent -- probably not a good idea what with ultrasonic promoting rapid vaporization -- and it didn't work well at all.

Chilly Cheers for now!
RyanRumsey

Post by RyanRumsey »

I was out today!! Went downtown to meet a friend but they got snowed in so I made the trek up to Londonderry and spent the afternoon at my aunt's house. Now THIS is Alberta winter!...yuck.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Got back from Vegas at 10.30pm last nite. Advice to the wise, NEVER EVER USE - US Airways. The absolutly worst airline that I have ever flown with.
Let's paint a condensed version of the last 27 hrs of my trip with my lovely wife.

Show up at the airport in Vegas @ 7.00pm
Check in - no problems
wait 2hrs
Delayed
Delayed
Delayed
Delayed
Delayed
Flight cancelled @ 1.30am - due to NO pilot. 3 other flights cancelled by the same airline for the same reason.
Angry mob in the terminal
4.00am - finally get a flight to Vancouver - MAYBE
8.00am - Try to confirm the seats
wait
wait
wait
11.30am- Finally get on a plan to Vancouver
2.40 land in Vancouver
wait to see if we get on the connector
Delay
Delay
Delay
Change gate
Delay
Change Gate
Delay
Arrive in Edm at 9.30pm
Finally get home at 10.30pm

Let me tell you that the burning sensation from the frosty air, that I felt on my face and hands as I prayed to the Honda gods (praying that my unplugged car would start) never felt better....

A little rub here a little rub there, I used some tuff love and told here what I'd too her if she didn't start......I don't why I was doubting her! She put a smile on my face, even though my butt was frozen on the leather...
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
noel

Post by noel »

Only a Lammy rider would pray to a Honda God :wink:
As far back as I can remember I've wanted to be Angelo