Starter scooter?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

kristel

Starter scooter?

Post by kristel »

I've always liked the look of scooters and I've recently begun seriously thinking about getting my own and learning to ride....

Anyhow, I've signed up for a motorcycle course in June and I'm looking for some advice on what would be a good scooter to start out on. I really love the retro look and I've been admiring a Vespa LX 150 at Top Gear. However, I'm not sure I'm prepared spend that much just yet and I think I'd prefer to buy used. I would mostly use it for commuting in the summer and just playing around on the weekends. Any advice on make/model that you'd recommend?

Thanks. :)
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi Kristel

That is the question for the ages. Ask 10 different scooterists and you are going to get 10 different answers. We can't even agree on whether or not to go for the topcase. But you asked so here is my .02.

While it is very hard to beat the new vespas with respect to reliability and the polished look, Derbi (Boulavard) and Piaggio (Fly 150) make a decent plastic bodied scooter if you are into the sort of futuristic look. Some folks are, some folks aren't. If you are into a more retro style without the big price tag the vino 125 is a rock solid bike. Built by yamaha, light weight, and has decent in town power. Not so good on the highway but it can run with the traffic on the yellowhead no problem. And they clean up real nice if you want to do any modifications.

If you don't mind the travel, you can pick up a 2005 ET4 (the predecessor to the lx) on the west coast for around 3k. And there is also a px200 (2 stroke shifty) for sale on the forum here for 4400. All good bikes.

Hope this helps. If you do find something that strikes your fancy stop in again if you are looking for particular details. We might be able to help out more. Unfortunatly there are some folks out there that will sell you a bill of goods and you could end up with a real piece of crap.

Keep the shiny side up.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Well put, Trevor, good points there. Out of all the new non-vespas, I have to say I like the Vino best. Everyone that I know that has owned one has had nothing bad to say about them, and they look pretty good, all things considered.

Hi Kristel and welcome to the forum!

Jeff
I was a mod before you was a mod.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Further to this. A vino showed up on Kijiji today. Check out the link

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... dZ42692569

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Top Gear usually has some used scooters as well though they go quickly. Buy from a reputable dealer and you should be OK. Avoid the fly-by-night Chinese places.
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Someone on Craigslist was selling an LX150 for $5000 (I think). I don't know if it's still available, or if that's a decent price, but it might be worth checking out.
All hail Emperor Kang!