Moderator: Moderators

Angelo

Should I get a scooter?

Post by Angelo »

�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Strictly practical, it's not the greatest purchase. The riding season is short. In the 3 to 9months not riding in a cage you have to save enough in gas to pay for the purchase price, extra insurance, helmet (protective clothing), maintenance and storage. You have to extend your scooter season and ride in wet and very cold conditions to even have a chance at breaking even.

Strictly emotional, scooters are a heck of a lot of fun. You won't benefit from that fun factor being stuck inside a cage. You really don't feel the enjoyment of a big motorcycle until you reach the open highway. But the scooter fun factor begins and ends in your own driveway.

I fear many new scooterists have approached their purchase from a practical and logical understanding that's set them up for disappointment. This is why so many are ending up in the back of their garage, right next to their nautalis home gym.
giddyup
Sanosuke87

Post by Sanosuke87 »

I have to drive my scoot everywhere all the time (rain or shine) cuz its my only transport (till i get a truck soon), it a 50cc but i get 75-85 Km/h out of it, so its fast enough, and i get about 33 km/L, so its very cheap on gas.
I calculated my savings by the mileage i got last year on my scoot witch was 8000 Km, so it cost me a little lest than 300$, if i where driving a car for 8000 Km it would cost me about 1500$, a truck is about 2500$ for 8000 Km.
so i saved about 2200$ dollars last year cuz i got a scoot instead of a truck, but i just bought it last year around mid summer and it cost me 4500$, so this year im still driving my scooter for all of spring, summer and fall and predict savings of about 3000$-3600$ this year. Total savings of 5500$ - 4500$ for scoot = 1000$ saved in two years.
If i keep this up, the money i save from summer scooting i can use for winter gas for the truck.
Point and case, i enjoy riding, and even trough bad weather i can manage, im can carry 200$ worth of groceries on my scoot, i dont have to carry anyone anywhere but myself, gas is not gonna come down any time soon only up it goes, and im saving enough to get me the truck i need for winter, where as i could not afford to get a scoot (let alone anything else) after if i got a truck first.
ForgedPixels

Post by ForgedPixels »

My relatively quick figures guesstimated that my Vespa would take around 6 years or so to "pay for itself". I knew going into the purchase that it would take a long time, but there are other perks besides mileage savings :)
~Barrett R
Rick

Buy a Vino

Post by Rick »

Why spend 5 or 6k on a "Vespa" when you can buy quality Yamaha baby.
$2800 for a one year old bike. Let's run the numbers

Vino - Ins & Plates around 300.00
Gas $32/month (May-Oct) - Plenty of riding
Oil and maintanance - Around 40.00/year
Fun - Priceless

Car - Ins&Plates around 1000.00 and up
Gas $200.00/Month (Conservative) (May-Oct.)
Oil & maintenance - Around 150.00/Year is your Lucky
Fun in a cage - not Priceless

Vino pay for themselves in about 3 years, ok 4 years if you include Extra Insurance you must pay every year. If you ride em around 6months out of the year. Vino stored in Garage next to Car in winter. You don't need all that expensive riding gear either 100.00 for helmet and 50.00 for gloves.
Well that's my take on it, Trust me I thought through all the costs before I bought. I don't know anyone who has bought a Scoot lately that has it sitting around.
ForgedPixels

Re: Buy a Vino

Post by ForgedPixels »

Rick wrote:Why spend 5 or 6k on a "Vespa"
'Cuz it's orange and has a square headlight :D
~Barrett R
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Rick wrote: Car - Ins&Plates around 1000.00 and up
Gas $200.00/Month (Conservative) (May-Oct.)

Rick I have seen your car, it cost $200.00 in fuel just to start it! :D
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

ForgedPixels wrote:
Rick wrote:Why spend 5 or 6k on a "Vespa"
'Cuz it's orange and has a square headlight :D
FTW
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Rick

I guess your right

Post by Rick »

That Car is up for Sale so it's been driven only about twice this year but ya probly a month worth of scooter gas, hahaha.
teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

Why get a Vespa??? Really that is a question??

You can buy a plastic bike, for less money but you will be need to be aware that the lifespan is that much shorter...solid metal body, italian constrcton, decades of history and superb quality...that alone should tell you why..

I have a 1965 VBB Vespa...can anyone tell me if they have a Yamaha from that year...nope didn't think so :)
Mod

Post by Mod »

I don't think the scooter life is for everybody and due to the weather conditions we live in it is limiting for most.

For me it works well - I have been riding consecutively for 25 months, every month. I do get strange looks by people in minus 15 weather in the winter!

If the roads are clear I ride - and I have saved quite a bit on gas. I have also spent quite a bit on accessories - love that chrome!!
I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet.