Big Bike Review....Warning, its long.

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Big Bike Review....Warning, its long.

Post by coyoteran »

So the trip meter read 2190 when I pulled into the driveway last night. I haven't gone over the fuel logs yet to determine the mpg but it made the trip to Kelowna with fuel stops in Red Deer, Canmore, and Revelstoke. The longest distance between refueling was 313km with 2litres left in the tank. Never had to use the 4 litre jerry can.

It rained all the way to Vernon and the bike never really felt like it was on the edge of control. That 628 pounds plus me plus gear holds the tires to the ground very well but the weight is so low that you don't feel it. It is very maneuverable. There is a real protective shell around you keeping those big rain drops and hail stones from smashing into you at highway speeds. Ran with groups of cruisers and sport bikes through the mountains but they kept on pulling off into underpasses and the Yeti and I just kept going.

This bike is made for these kinds of trips. Fast, no hand fatigue, relatively little numb butt and its just as smooth at 145km /hr as it is at 100 (gps speed, not wildly inaccurate speedo speed) Never got in a situation where I felt I needed more power. The ECVT actually gears down when you hammer the throttle, similar to a passing gear in an automatic car, the rpms jump and it pulls for a very long time. Top speed registered by the GPS on this trip was 155kph (speedo showed 171) and it was still pulling hard when I pulled back into traffic.

The amount of gear that thing carries with the top case and underseat is bloody amazing. Yeah, yeah, I know, its not a real scooter. Believe me, that was made crystal clear at the rally...you know, by folks who trailer their bikes if the trip is longer than 200 km....but you could do a lot worse if you ever had an inclination to tour. I was chatting with a harley driver at a gas stop, playing the 20 scooter question game. His jaw hit the floor when the topic turned to top speed. (190 kph) Most cruiser drivers have the same reaction. He miserably stated that he couldn't get his FLH over 140 kph...ever.

As I was nearing home yesterday a big guy in a van pulled up beside me at the last lights in St Albert and rolled down his window.
"Hey buddy"
"Yeah?" I answer, expecting the conversation to not go well.
"Is that a scooter?"
"Yes it is" I say, mildly surprised.
"Is it really a 650 or is that just a model name"
"It's really a 650"
"Any good on the highway"
"I left Kelowna this morning and I still have another 20 k to go...I sure hope so"
He gives me this slightly incredulous look.
"I would show you on the GPS but the light just changed...gotta go" I stabbed the Power Mode button, hammered the throttle and was doing 100kph on the highway before he was out of the intersection.

15 hours on the road and you couldn't slap the smile off my face for the last 20 k. So, it's not a "real" scooter. Who cares? It is what it is. And it is an awful lot of fun.

Keep the shiny side up all

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Sounds like a keeper to me. It also sounds like someone is pretty damn pleased with themselves and deservedly so.

Congrats again!
redbike

Post by redbike »

Welcome back (safely) Trevor. Am pleased you're pleased. Tomorrow evening then?
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

It is a real scooter, and you are a real rider!! Well done
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Trevor, you're a Mod in the true sense of rebeling against the status quo of everyone fitting in with the same-old-same-old. You've done it with one of the most modern and stylish assets in the market.

At least the muffler is steel. Nothing else takes a magnet.
giddyup
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

nocattle wrote: At least the muffler is steel. Nothing else takes a magnet.
That was funny as hell on Friday. You kept trying different spots and the magnet kept sliding off and you said something to the effect, "Jesus, there is no metal on this thing anywhere. Oh hey, the muffler. Lets hope its not plastic too"

I was standing there not %100 confident the magnet was going to stick to it either. Thank god it did. hehehehe

So Kory, how are the repairs on the lammy going. Is it going to be ready for its formal debut at the Calgary rally or is that just wishfull thinking on my part. Hope you're rolling in style soon.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

What day is it? Wednesday? I ordered a new engine this morning from NewJersy. Unfortunately they were just going out the door, heading to Ameriverspa in Tennessee. So my order won't actually be filled until tuesday or Wednesday when they get back. Then it'll be land freighted here to Calgary... so I won't be seeing my Lammy on the road for a few weeks more. The word that comes to mind is antici...

...pation. Does Angelo have a spare engine?
giddyup