The Little Duck Goes for a Swim

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

The Little Duck Goes for a Swim

Post by jbcollier »

The weather forecast was for some cloud and mostly sun so off I went to Whitecourt on the Ducati. Well it might have been sunny but I couldn't see bugger all because of the pea soup thick, wet fog. Thankfully I had my heated vest but the battery pack only lasted an hour and a bit so that left me with 45 minutes of c-c-c-cold. Not too bad really but it's nice to whine and snivel a bit to a sympathetic audiance.

I wasn't too sure what the fuel mileage would be so I stopped at the first gas station I could see. There are quite a few but I couldn't see them. Only 4.4 litres to go 100 km absolutely flat out: not bad, not bad at all. However the gas station had a gravel surface and when I went to kick the bike the swivel bit on the kickstart lever took a flyer. Much hunting and pecking through the loose crush had me find everything but the circlip. Fortunately I had a bit of ss wire and the leatherman knock-off multi-tool from our first rally (thanks due to Redbike John, I think) so I was able to use wire in place of the absent clip.

The only other problem was my special 35w headlight bulb going south: both filaments! I had a standard 55/60 in my pocket -- now you know that I am not just glad to see you -- and that worked well as I had the tach wrapped a fair way around the dial. Emily went through two of the 35 watters on our big trip. I guess they are not made to the same standard as the normal ones.

One disappointment was with the top end of the Ducati which was only 138 kph (85 mph). The very last bit of throttle felt a little soft so I think I need to fine tune the jetting slightly. Still, pegged for mile after mile and no Big Bang so I am actually pretty darn happy!

When the fog cleared it was surprisingly quite nice. At least it was until I headed home! Just a few miles out and the rain started and stayed as an on and off drizzle most of the way home. A tad chilly at times but the boots were great and the leathers fair: just a tad soggy and chilly when I hung them up at home. Naturally I had left the heavy duty rain gear at home as it was supposed to be sunny!

I hope today's casual meeting went OK. At least it was dry here!!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Checked the oil today and it hadn't used a drop.

:-)

My cam timing is a two degrees advanced so I'll sort that out over the winter. It allows it to rev quicker but for max power, it needs to be spot on.

Also it lost a little power when the air was damp and cold (denser) so I think I have to go up one main jet size.

I'll also have to carry two heat ranges of plugs: one for around town and one a little colder for the flat out freeway runs.

Might also switch to that desmo head I have laying around. Strangely they actually run quieter with a desmo head. Not as much cam choice though...
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Love the stories John, glad you both got back safely. What are my chances of living if I find that SRX and bring it home so I can join you on these journey's?
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

If you survive getting the SRX past Rita, you'll be fine ;-)