Technical updates

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Technical updates

Post by jbcollier »

When I first got the BMW rig, I fitted an extended sump to expand the oil capacity. When I took the pan off I found a small pin which at the time I assumed was from a timing chain change. A year later I pulled the front off and changed the chain only to discover that the pin did not come from there.

A little research on the web revealed that the front bearing insert is located by a pin. A pin that is supposed to be held in place by staking the housing. Back in I went and out came everything again as well as the front bearing support: sure enough, no pin. Fortunately the bearing had not rotated -- which would cut off oil supply to the valve train!

I have the pin on order and will make darn sure it won't come out again.

At the same time I have stripped my leading link forks and sent the pieces out for powder coating. The painted finish was starting to peel off. While not impressed with the finish, I was impressed that the forks are built like a brick you-know-what.

----

All the pieces are at hand to start the body work on the SS. Still no word from the frame straightening chap yet. Sigh. It looks like I will have to pick it up and do it myself. Probably not a bad idea.

----

The tank is off the Suzuki to find out why there doesn't seem to be any reserve. I filled the tank with phosphoric acid (dilute!) to clean things out and then filled it with 30% two stroke mix. That will keep the rust at bay. The tap seems to work fine. The way it is designed means less flow on the reserve position. I'll have to change the tap out. Either back an original vacuum tap, which I don't like, or, to another aftermarket tap.

----

Ducati engine is out for a discretionary tear down. No problems but I want to make sure everything is working well. I do not want it grenading after all the money I have put into it.

----

Busy winter ahead!
redbike

Post by redbike »

That reminds me; gotta move the trickle charger over to the other bike... :shock:
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yup, I be a fool!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Well John it certainly looks like you haven't learned anything about work ethic, looks like you be sitting on your butt again this year watching re-runs of the Odd couple again :shock:
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
redbike

Post by redbike »

jbcollier wrote:Yup, I be a fool!
Well, I don't know if I'd go that far, John, but as I was reading your post I thought it a perfect indication of the kind of dedication it takes to keep vintage machines operating at their best. As my buddy Jimmy Wachowich would say: "hair on ya". I just wouldn't be able to do it.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I remember that show!

-- Insert pause as old guy realizes just how old he is. --

This may comes as a surprise John but I actually enjoy riding them more than working on them. I know it doesn't seem that way-- ergo the fool remark. With a wee bit of forethought, I could have two (or three) modern bikes in the garage for the same investment. A sobering thought a times.

However I love riding the bikes I have and the bikes I have require tlc. Lots of it. A bit like marriage I guess: sometimes you scratch your head wondering just what you were thinking but happy more often than not.

Cheers!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Well all the engine work is completed on the BMW. Next I am trying to convert it to flatter tires for when it is hauling the chair. The front is no trouble as there are lots of inexpensive Y-type mags about which will take a sidecar specific tire. The rear is a bit more troublesome and I will either fit a 15" VW steel rim at the back -- after modifying a stock hub -- or I will get a Y-type mag machined to take a 15" rim.

As some of you know the SS90 is back though the chap who had it did nothing. At least it also cost nothing. Now I just need to figure out a way to straighten the steering column and then it can go to the fabricator. It probably won't be ready for this year.

I pulled down the Duck engine and everything looked good in the bottom end. I'll double check shimming when I put it back together. The head had spat a rocker shim and valves could use a touch up. In future I'll just pull the head off for a yearly inspection.

Cheers
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jbcollier wrote:Well all the engine work is completed on the BMW. Next I am trying to convert it to flatter tires for when it is hauling the chair. The front is no trouble as there are lots of inexpensive Y-type mags about which will take a sidecar specific tire. The rear is a bit more troublesome and I will either fit a 15" VW steel rim at the back -- after modifying a stock hub -- or I will get a Y-type mag machined to take a 15" rim.

As some of you know the SS90 is back though the chap who had it did nothing. At least it also cost nothing. Now I just need to figure out a way to straighten the steering column and then it can go to the fabricator. It probably won't be ready for this year.

I pulled down the Duck engine and everything looked good in the bottom end. I'll double check shimming when I put it back together. The head had spat a rocker shim and valves could use a touch up. In future I'll just pull the head off for a yearly inspection.

Cheers
I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty with your project as well John. I'm going into withdrawls!
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-