Trip Update

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Trip Update

Post by jbcollier »

Trip has been wonderful so far. The first day took me to Kamloops. Not that many corners until I started to decend into the Thompson River valley. Only problem was with my skill at operating my new ipod. I didn't realize that it was set to shake-to-shuffle. I was beginning to think Harper Lee was quite the post-modern writer until it repeated a chapter. Once sorted, I had to go back quite a piece to get the whole story. Well worth the read or listen by-the-way.

I fell for the "Renovated Historic Downtown Hotel" speil. It was very nicely renovated but single pane windows, Friday night and lots of open pipe Harlys meant I got litte sleep but did hit the road with the dawn -- my apologies to the sleepy night clerk I awoke rather early.

Cool mountain air found me once again thinking of the young girl who sold me my first heated vest. It just took a few minutes but the warm glow has lingered for years. God forbid that anything should happen to Janet, but, if it does, I know who I'll be asking to marry me next!

One couple of rocket scientists, undoubtedly ex-NASA, stopped in the curb lane after a blind corner. Not next to or beside but right in the middle of the damn lane. They had both doors wide open while excecuting a driver change. We are indeed fearfully and wonderfully made! Mostly fearfully I suspect myself.

Missed 'em in case you were wondering if this was a transcript of my eulogy.

Marvelous high speed decent into Frazer Valley. Very thoughtful of the authorities to mark some of the corner apexes with white crosses: strangely always next to rock faces ;-)

Caught the ferry with two minutes to spare though the ride is getting expensive. My bike and I cost $35 but the poor saps in cars were paying $180 if they had three pasengers!! Hopefully my informant was exaggerating.

Looking forward to the trip back and, of course, seeing you all again.

Cheers!
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

As I said to John redbike when he was giving us a play by play of his trip....I hate you. That is of course only the jealousy speaking. Keep on keeping on and have a great trip back.
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Love the updates. Keep them coming. As always safe travels and watch out for the crazies on the roads.....

Cheers
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

John you have a pm

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yet another marvelous day in the saddle. Once again, some combination of button pushes or, perhaps, a particularly mischevious alignment of planets, resulted in my iPod again switching to shuffle. Easy to fix but not at 130+ kph.

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird, which I enjoyed though it was spoiled by a preachy end. Started another, much lighter fare though, one of C S Forrester's Hornblower series. A wonderful way to pass the time.

Many, many motorcyclists on the road. More than a few with simply appalling roadcraft. I had one chap slip past me and up the left side of a left turning B-trained flat bed, on a single lane road!! Another just missed me when I supppse he must have been surprised by a traffic light. Give me texting car drivers any day.

The bike feels ever so slightly loose at high speed but it is probably to do with all that weight at the rear. Still, it is getting to be time to overhaul the bearings in the rear swing arm: a winter project. Along with overhauling the transmission as it shifts like a bloody BMW!

I highly recommend the route: lots of high speed sweepers, stunning scenery and relativily lightly trafficed; at least nothing a motorcycle can't quickly wade through. A wide range of temperatures so heated clothing is a nice to have.

That's it for now. I hope to see you this weekend and then I am off to Nelson for anothe m/c trip.

What a lucky bastard!!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

An uneventful last leg if you do not consider glorious riding and a tasty breakfast in Jasper eventful. I am not quite sure how it happened but the highest speed recorded by the GPS on this leg was 160 kph. Luckily the police were always otherwise engaged when encountered.

Yesterday's leg actually had me pull over and wait for the police as I was sure I was caught: crest hill at 135 in a 100 zone, heavy braking of police car as it pulls over to the side, I pull off the road around the corner and wait in vain, thankfully. Perhaps it was doughnut time and they decided to let me go, not that I am complaining.

Twice on the trip I felt I was in a motorcycle safety video. Both times left turning vehicles had their view of me obscured by either another vehicle or a poorly placed sign. Changing my position in the lane and a brief toddle on the horn kept my early retirement at bay. There are nothing like miles to teach you bike safety... provided you survive the lessons.

All done for this week and now to prep for next week's trip to Nelson. This time I'll be traveling in convoy with Janet and James in the car. Yes, it is a bit odd but sitting in a car just kills my back while I can ride all day on a bike -- born lucky I guess. Anyway this this time I'll have the bike wired with walkie talkies so we can communicate back and forth as needed.

Cheers!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

so How many Kilometers did you get per 13ltr tank full?

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

13 litres?

It holds 35 litres!

I never ran it dry, or even to reserve. I usually filled up between 250 to 300 km. I basically filled it when I was ready for a break. At the lowest I got it, there was still a good ten litres left.

It's really a marvelous touring bike. A few flaws but nothing fatal: awkward sidestand, which I have modified as best as possible; clunky gearbox, nature of the beast unfortunately; and, a bit of low speed wheel flop -- think of it as power steering gone mad.

Now if only I could get my smallframe to hold 13 litres!

... I am working on it actually.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jbcollier wrote:13 litres?

It holds 35 litres!

I never ran it dry, or even to reserve. I usually filled up between 250 to 300 km. I basically filled it when I was ready for a break. At the lowest I got it, there was still a good ten litres left.

It's really a marvelous touring bike. A few flaws but nothing fatal: awkward sidestand, which I have modified as best as possible; clunky gearbox, nature of the beast unfortunately; and, a bit of low speed wheel flop -- think of it as power steering gone mad.

Now if only I could get my smallframe to hold 13 litres!

... I am working on it actually.
how about a modified Camel-back? :lol:

- Dustin Kott-