Lotus Update #2

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Lotus Update #2

Post by jbcollier »

I got the engine together over the weekend, yahoo! Angelo, Igor and David all lent a hand cleaning, blasting and painting parts. Angelo even did some machining. Thanks!

Still one or two small details to attend to:

- header to the machine shop as the flange is warped

- find a camshaft seal

- match the exhaust ports to the header

Next, hopefully this coming weekend, will be assembling the transaxle. After that we can put the whole assembly back in place. Then the real work starts!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Oh poop, I forgot I'm volunteering for the Tour of Alberta stages near Edmonton: probably the transaxle will not get done this weekend.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yipee, I have the Sunday off so it's back to work on the Europa. Drop by for a visit if you're out riding.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Saw this too late. How did the Europa work go on Sunday?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Oh, the usual two steps forward and three steps back. Angelo got the engine off its stand and the clutch on, thanks.

I got the tranny almost completely assembled only to discover that the supplied pinion support bearing was not quite right. I can get it to work, no problem, but I'll have to strip the tranny completely to do so. Good practice I guess.

I also completed matching the exhaust ports/gasket/header.

I have an alternator coming to trial fit and lots of fiddling before the engine and transaxle can be dropped in place -- never, hopefully, to come out again.