S3 Lambretta found in USA but...

A place to peddle and look for stuff

Moderator: Moderators

david

S3 Lambretta found in USA but...

Post by david »

I have found 1967 S3 Lambretta in the US. Here is the problem. The closest motorcycle shop (30km away) will not act as 3rd party to facilitate the deal, as this was my plan. I have had many conversations with the seller (Tim) and am sure that he is the "real deal"-honest and genuine. I am entertaining a couple of ideas to complete the sale of this very original Lambretta. Any other ideas would be apreciated, and earn the successful idea, coffee and lunch at Luzzara's or somewhere else that is not as good :lol: you choose. Thank-you!!!
Ska'D for Life
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

By third party, do you mean someone to act as an escrow agent, or, just someone to facilitate shipping?

If shipping, these chaps will pick up at the door and require no special packing:

http://shop.bevelheaven.com/SearchResul ... goryID=242
david

Post by david »

I've got the shipping taken care of, so yes I am looking for an escrow agent. Though I have little doubt that if I sent the money he would honour his end of the agreement. One still needs to be cautious :cry:
Ska'D for Life
david

Post by david »

Also, the seller has managed to find the title and owners manual, yeah! But he is still looking for the keys. Is it safe to assume that a NOS/replacement ignition can be purchsed, and what might it cost. Or can a key be cut?
Ska'D for Life
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Keys can be cut if the number is still on the lock, if not I guess you're looking at a replacement lock? Not sure...

Where is the bike? Facebook can be invaluable for friends-of-friends willing to do a favour or two.
All hail Emperor Kang!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Many repo parts are available but not always identical to the originals, especially keys. This is not an unusual situation though as the keys are the first to disappear after the socks in the laundry.

I have never bought using an escrow agent so I can't advise you there. If it's the original scoot that I have seen photos of, I think they look to be on the up and up.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Casa has an AC ignition switch with keys for $65ish. Their parts are generally considered as good as it gets next to NOS.
david

Post by david »

The Lammy is in Indiana. I have found an escow service associated with Ebay. And yes John, it is the same people as the pics you saw. I agree, it is on the up and up. I've had many conversations with him, and a few with his daughter in-law (he doesn't own a computer or camera). I'm I crazy for even entertianing sending the money to him knowing that he will probably 99.9% hold-up his end of the deal? Or is there other options. To be clear, my instinct is that he is honest and true.
Ska'D for Life
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I have never used an escrow service and I've bought a number of expensive items from a long way away. How you find the item has a lot to do with it.

Most people with something to sell, just want to sell it and are straight forward to deal with. The usual problems with perception, polished brass looking like gold; and value, their camera, scooter, etc is worth as much as the mint, low production one they saw on the internet for big $$. Once you work through those issues, I find displaying enthusiasm, sympathy and trust will have people behaving better than they ordinarily might in an impersonal situation.

Scammers post deals that are just too good to be true in places where they gather attention easily. Details quickly get hazy and never is the item readily available to view.

So should you just send them the funds? After seeing the photos and talking to you, I would. Not my money, mind.
david

Post by david »

You always know just what to say John :D , thank-you. I agree with you. I trust this fellow, and have connected with him over our many, and sometimes lengthy conversations, and now have many stories associated with what will be my "new" Lambretta :>) I would not want to insult him by proceeding in a manner that suggests that I do not trust him. On a side note; iescrow.com does not "at this time" offer thier service for the transaction of vehicles.
Ska'D for Life
LibertineAudrey

You might want to consider seeing what your credit card offers for insurance. Most credit companies will cover your purchase if it breaks, gets stolen, never arrives, etc. For a period of a year. If the seller is willing to take a paypal payment done with your credit card, it maybe insured. Paypal may also cover the purchase, I'm not sure.
All hail Emperor Kang!
LibertineAudrey

Also, people who are honest about their dealings tend to be the least offended when you want to proceed with caution, but suggest it to a scammed and they freak out. I don't think you would offend him by being cautious.
All hail Emperor Kang!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I got family in Chicago. How far from your guy?
david

Post by david »

It's 300km from Chicago, maybe a little far for such a favour. Thank-you though Kevin. My new BFF in Indiana tells me of a scooter show near him that would swell the hearts of most of our members. He will send me info-dates and such later, and i will post the info. Could be a good side trip for you Kevin when you go visit. Thanks Audrey, all good things to consider. I think Shakespear would agree with you; those that "protest too much", damn scammers. Thanks all, the community support swells me heart.
Ska'D for Life
LibertineAudrey

david wrote:... that would swell the hearts...
As long as that's all it's swelling.... XD
All hail Emperor Kang!