Well, that's a new one...

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Well, that's a new one...

Post by jbcollier »

My nephew is coming to live with us while he attends the UofA. Our hot water tank is quite old and barely keeping up with the present shower load so we decided to replace it with an instant-on, hot water system.

The lads arrived and spent the whole day installing it and everything worked fine. Out the door they go and I turn on the hot tap, nice warm water, slowly getting hotter and then cooler, cooler and dead cold. What the heck? Leave the tap on, head into the utility room and, just as I enter, the heater fires up and, very quickly, there's hot water galore.

Hmph!

So have a nice long shower and decide the water temp is a tad low. Head downstairs and tweak it up slightly. Hmm, better check the other showers as well just in case the mix valve limit needs adjusting with the new slightly cooler water temp. Go to the first shower, water starts getting warmer, almost hot, then cooler, cooler, cold.

£$%&!

Go to the utility room and the water heater kicks in just as I enter. Go back to the still running shower and it's nice and warm!

Hmmm.

Head up to the last shower and turn it on: warmer, warmer, cooler, cooler, cold!!!! Back to the utility room and the heater again starts up just as I enter. Back upstairs to a nice toasty shower.

TONG, the bell of enlightenment rings through my brain and I start laughing. Wow, I could just imagine the incredible series of service calls had I not figured it out first.

Can anyone guess what they did wrong?
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

Sounds like a spark plug issue to me.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

The Timing is completely wrong....
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

something to do with the light switch?
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Bingo, they took the power for the unit from the utility room light. Good work Sherlock.
nick

Post by nick »

When our hot water heater decided to die, this is what I want to get. I've wanted one for a while. No longer will you have to wait half an hour to get hot water again!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

As long as the light's on!

So far, so good.