6 volt, 12 volt system?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

big 3

6 volt, 12 volt system?

Post by big 3 »

I am currently rebuilding a PK 50 automatica, I have to rewire so I can get brake lights and dual beam headlights to pass inspection. The headlight and tail light are 6 volt bulbs, and the turn signals are 12 volt, has anyone heard of such a thing? I will say that it is electronic ignition with the usual blue CDI unit, which i replaced and i have had the bike running. Any insight?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The CD1 system is separate from the charging coils and the lighting voltage can be either 6v or 12v depending on the model. I have the manual for the PK80 and PK125 automatica but not the PK50 auto. Start it up and measure the voltage at the headlight.

Do you have a link to a wiring diagram?
big 3

Post by big 3 »

I have the book as well which has the wiring diagram in it, after a bit of research it seems that the 50 may have a dual system. I have decided to redo the entire electrical system from the stator out. The bike is an Italian model, so it doesn't have proper head or tail lights, so bringing it up to PK 80/125 specs seems to be the way to go if I want to get it on the road. Fun, fun making the new wiring harness.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Two stroke wiring can be a wee bit of a black art, especially if you have an unregulated, short-to-ground-for-off system. Good luck.
big 3

Post by big 3 »

yeah, i know it can be, but the 50 version seems to the same as the other pk's, without the traffic safety lights