Return of Europa Workshop on Sunday

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Return of Europa Workshop on Sunday

Post by jbcollier »

Sunday Nov 17 starting at 9 a.m., I'll be working on the Europa. I'm hoping to have completed the fibreglassing at the front so we can bolt together the front end and lower it to the ground. Wishful thinking? Possibly.

I'm at 8620 Saskatchewan Drive, walk around to the back and enter through the double doors. If you haven't been there before, better google map the address as it can be a bit tricky the first time. Light refreshments will be provided and there will be a mid-day break for a session of Theravada chanting with a local lama (no, not the kind you shear for wool).
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Wow my singing has been trumped by Chanting.....heavy sigh
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

If I can find better earplugs, we can go back to the karaoke ;-)

I took the day off work and have been busy fibreglassing. So far so good. I'll put another layer on the inside this evening/tomorrow and then we're ready for the front suspension.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

As a casual outside observer I can't help but wonder, when did the concept of "rebuild" turn into "build from scratch with a set of diagrams" Is there going to be any part of this car that originated from the factory?
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
redbike

Post by redbike »

coyoteran wrote:As a casual outside observer I can't help but wonder, when did the concept of "rebuild" turn into "build from scratch with a set of diagrams" Is there going to be any part of this car that originated from the factory?
Wheel nuts. OEM wheel nuts.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

No, the wheel nuts are new. However, all the front suspension, brakes, etc, most of the rear suspension, driveshafts, and wheels are stock and the replacement frame was modified to S1 specs.

The S1 Europas are rare and it was a bit of a fluke that I managed to buy one as there are 15 times the number of S2 and TCs around. That said, my S1 was pretty far gone and only salvageable with the expenditure of labour and funds far exceeding its worth (something I have done before). All my mods are reversible and I am keeping all the original parts.

It is a good question though and one I have been pondering myself. The right thing to do would be to go completely original. I would end up with a car that was fun to drive for brief periods, mostly a display, something Janet would never want to drive in and only valuable if I shipped it to Japan* where it would be instantly modded. Though I have decided to do a fair number of "improvements", I still toss and turn most nights wondering if I'm doing the right thing...

* They had a cartoon series that featured a gang of misfit, but good hearted, youth all in different early Lotuses. The handsome leader drove an S1 with a huge spoiler and lots other mods. They save the world/Japan/Tokyo by driving around at top speed.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

External fibreglassing is done so we are a go!

I still have to do the internal glassing but I can that later.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Many wood parts remain original but refinished!

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Thanks to you !!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Who would of thought that the best medicine for my mental health is you 6 guys on a true wintery day like today? Thanks for the laughs gentlemen. Nice to see the Lotus on 4 wheels! She is going to be a beauty John. Yes much more time effort and buckets of cash but in the end a beauty. Thank you for allowing me to help baptize the project with more of my blood!!

Cheers
Last edited by Angelo on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

My thanks to Andrew, Angelo, David, John and Kevin. Believe it or not, the Lotus is on it's wheels for the first time in decades!