Rally 2008

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Rally 2008

Post by jbcollier »

Got a crazy idea. What if next year we held our rally in Jasper? The riding is to die for. We could book a campground/hostel/both. It is about equidistant for both Calgary and Edmonton and a heck of a lot closer for Kelowna. We could rent a trailer or two (I have a small one) etc.

Whaddaya think?
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I think it's a brilliant idea, personally. It would require a bit more planning for a lot of things though, and is Crude City really ready for MORE planning? Kidding...

Anyways, yeah I think that's a really cool idea.
All hail Emperor Kang!
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi all

This isn't much of a stretch from what we went through last year. The idea was put forward last fall to have one big Alberta rally with both Apocalypse and Crude sharing the responsibilities, prep, planning and whatever else.

Another idea floated was alternating years. In edmonton 1 year, calgary the next. Makes it easier for the folks on the coast to come out.

The shared point was sort of assumed to be red deer but hey, jasper works. Financially it gets a little tough though. A main contributor to making rallies affordable for the masses is the billeting. Tough to do in a split location.

Don't get the idea that I am totally against this. Just providing a little background and some food for thought. Discuss :)

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Just a crazy suggestion but one I thought might be worth considering.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi again

I could see where this idea could be transformed a bit. Don't think of it as an organized rally but a sort of communal camping trip avec scooters. You see what I am getting at? And put out a flag to the rest of the scooter community in AB and BC. Camping trip..this weekend...this location...bring your bike.

No sponsors, no prizes, no rally packs, no organized activities. Just a trip. Hook up for grp rides if you like or just spin wheels down the road at your own liesure. And the group rides would be very spontaneous. You wake up Saturday and announce...I am going this way, anybody wanna go? The whole thing could be organized on the VCOC board with one person responsible for booking the campsites for those who want to camp. Close to a town for those who don't and they can get their own hotel room.

Sturgis like a-la scooter. and way way smaller. You may have already picked up on it but I am a cheap bastard. Having said that, this is something even I could get into if it was worked into one of my holidays.

But hey, I am just spit balling here. Discuss.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

I'm up for Jasper, but can we pick a long weekend to go?

If you are looking for hotel rooms it is best to book in a block i.e. 10 rooms for x number of nights. That way the hotel will give you a better rate for the rooms and if it is off season for the hotel the rate is even better. Although I don't ever remember there being an off season for Jasper. Also there is an attrition clause that is built into the sales contract for the release of the rooms, usually 30 days out. That way if your numbers drop for the hotel you (as the sales contact) are not responsible for the rooms. The hotels (Fairmont) usually will honor the rate for other rooms outside of the block if you release the rooms and they are not sold out.

Hotel or camping, both are good, just as long as I get to hang out with friends and go for some great rides.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

I hear St. Paul is nice :wink:
I was a mod before you was a mod.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

awwww gee :oops:

We do have some great lakes and camp grounds around St. Paul, although the rides can be pretty straight with very few turns.
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Sylvan Lake is halfway for both of us. We don't have to wait until next year.
giddyup