Lotus in April

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Lotus in April

Post by jbcollier »

Alas the cruel vicissitudes of life, I have been laid low with a back injury and have not got all the work done that I otherwise might. I have the rear harness complete and 90% of the dash harness. Just have to terminate the wires to their respective connectors and that will be done. The front harness is not complete but is largely in place. Then there is just the ac harness to make up and the wiring will be done, whew.

However, with the rear and dash harnesses done, I can start the engine. It's full of oil and I used an electric pump to prime all the lines. I also filled the coolant. That was rather exciting as one of the chassis heater pipes had cracked while the hoses were being wiggled on. Thankfully it only took three hours to make up and fit new ones.

So just a few more wires and the Europa will be alive!

Still have to do the shift cables and AC ducts though. And soon as well as it goes to the body shop at the end of April. Yes, I have a new body shop lined up and, you guessed it, all the previous work has to be sanded off: $$$$cough, $$$$cough !!

Thanks again to Angelo and John for all their help. It's gotten to the point where their names will have to be on the title as well as mine!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Put some serious hours in on the Europa Friday, Saturday and today. John and Angelo as well. We got the wiring in the back and under the dash complete and fired her up this afternoon. Bit of a bobble with flooding in the front carb and we had to change the oil (before we even started it!) and flush out the front two cylinders of fuel. Minor hick-up aside, it started right up and ran ok-ish considering the carbs are only guess-jetted. Good oil pressure, timing's a little retarded, cooling system bled nicely and the rad fan controller worked as advertised.

Absolutely delighted I'd have to say.

Have a look and listen:

http://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-pzFZJ8R/A

No that's not a Franciscan friar in the car, it's me!

(Thanks to Angelo for the video)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Great news! Again, I have to say I would rather have been in grimy old Edmonton than on Salt Spring for at least ONE day...

Can't wait to see it on the road!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Even if the painter is accurate, and it is ready by the end of May, there's still lots to do. I think we're still looking at spring of 2016 before she's completely finished. Not that I won't try for sooner if I can!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Going to the body shop on Tuesday, April 21. Better get a move on with the remaining body work!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hooray! I might be able to assist with loading.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Well, she's at the body shop. Tucked in, all the doors, bonnets and boots there as well. Whew!

I/we got the AC ducts glassed in and partially finished:

http://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-ddWcWr8/A

http://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-BJMF2BN/A

Thanks to John, Angelo and Andrew for all their help. Wouldn't have got it ready without them!

Now to get the door lock mechs redone for when it gets back.