Lotus update

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Lotus update

Post by jbcollier »

Lots done since the last report:

- All the wiring completed and almost all working!

- Fit the rear camera and wiring, and the receiver wiring.

- Engine sump off three times to sort a porous casting. Finally had the sump boiled out, blasted and thickly powder-coated. Oil in a week and no drips!

- Fabricated the connects and hooked up the cable shifter. Holy poop, it works!

- Fit all the dash panels and glovebox (thanks A&J).

- Fit the front bonnet and am in the middle of fitting button locks on the corners of the bonnet.

- AC wired up and working. Fit all the ducting and it works too!

Next I have to fit release springs to the bonnet lock pins and fine tune the adjustment. I also have to fit the AC dryer/receiver and then get a whole whack of custom hoses made up. After that it time to fill it with gas, fire it up and tune it up properly.

Depending on timing, it may be headed to the upholstery shop for the interior very, very soon. While it's away I'll finish off the doors (upholster armrests, make up and fit speaker/storage divider, sort windows. Once back from the upholstery shop, in go the windows, on go the doors and we're off to the races!

As you can see by all the !!!!!!, I'm getting a little excited.
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

Is 2016 the year of the Europa?
redbike

Post by redbike »

Did you ride yesterday, Yarko? :wink:
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Hopefully. Still in negotiations regarding the paint work. It will have to be redone as more and more spider cracks are appearing as time goes by -- all without the Europa having even moved under its own power.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Wow! Can't wait to see it in March. Glad you got that oilpan issue sorted, finally.

I guess the appearance of further cracking *while sitting* at least makes the decision for you: it must be repainted. I hope you can negotiate something satisfactory. It makes me feel just a teeeensy bit better about my expensive automotove miscues (don't mention "Porsche 911" to Heather, for example!) that a mechanic as knowledgeable and experienced as you might also have some trouble -- not Schadenfreude, just reassurance that I might not be quite as unusually incompetent and unlucky as I have sometimes felt...

It's such a great car, though! Can't wait to see, hear, feel, smell (taste?) the final result (no, I won't lick it).

It will be a much better car than the original, and it will still cost much less than the remanufactured Deloreans now being built in the US (not to mention a much better car, too): http://www.delorean.com