Russell Mitchell - Exile Cycle

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Kevin

Russell Mitchell - Exile Cycle

Post by Kevin »

Hey Angelo,

I couldn't belive you didn't know Russell was into Scooter back in the day. Below is some history you may find interesting.

---===COPY PASTE===---
Motorcycles have always played a huge part in Russell's life. His first few custom builds were based around, of all things, Lambretta scooters! In the early 80's he was a major figure in the thriving English scooter-scene, although he describes himself as one of the "scooter-scum". Wearing a leather jacket and a Motorhead T-shirt, he did whatever he could to piss off the mainstream scooterists.

In 1983, after a couple of other custom scooters, twenty year old Russell built the very first 'Exile'. At that time it was fashionable to name your chopper, and Russell chose Exile as it was "a short, tough, symmetrical word - and it had an 'X' in it!" Exile 1 was the Lambretta chopper to beat all others. It had a coffin tank, twisted forks and a foot-shift, and is still held by many to be the most significant scooter of all time. It took all the trophies in all the categories, so Russell figured he'd enter it in the Kent Custom Bike Show, the biggest show in England. However, the Hell's Angels ran the Kent show and they warned him that they could not guarantee the safety of a Lambretta in a HA show. So Russell borrowed a mate's 650 and went to check out the show anyway. As he'd feared it would, his first 100mph ride changed everything.

No longer could Russell ride around on a glorified moped, no matter how custom. So, at the very next Scooter Rally he sold raffle ticketsfor fifty pence (about one dollar) each and on Saturday night he got on stage, drew a number, and gave Exile 1 to its new owner.

Although Russell did build one more scooter, Exile 2, a flat-black chop much more akin to his bikes of today, the proceeds of the raffle were used to buy a KZ650 which became Exile 3, a red Kawasaki rigid that made it into the pages of Back Street Heroes. This was the last 'colored' bike Russell ever built.

http://www.exilecycles.com/
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

yes! It's true. I did not know, but somehow I must have felt the connection. I have been a big fan of his work for years, and loved watching his show on Discovery last year called "build or bust". Thanks
for the pics and the article. Very cool stuff!

Cheers
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
lordhaha

Post by lordhaha »

Course, once he went on his first motorcycle ride, that was it for scooters.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

lordhaha wrote:Course, once he went on his first motorcycle ride, that was it for scooters.
....you can never change where you came from, and most things in your past, influence your future. I have heard him in interviews, he never gave me the impression that he would sherk his past, that's my take. Having said that. I would love to have one of his new bikes in my stable.

btw.....who may Lordhaha be??
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
lordhaha

Post by lordhaha »

You don't want to know. I'm nefarious.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Russel showed up at the Saturday night Do in Vegas this year. He still appreciates scooters...and drinking....and 16 year old girls :roll:

lordhaha

Post by lordhaha »

Who doesn't?