Handlebar risers

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

DoesDerbiCount?

Handlebar risers

Post by DoesDerbiCount? »

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I can do to get more clearance. The reason I ask is because I was out riding for about 5 hours last night and my neck and upper back is killing me! I called a couple of places, and the cheapest so far is getting it online for 120 bucks american for two pieces of metal. Riverside quoted me at ~250 bucks.
So my question is, would anyone know of any place cheaper (and preferably doesn't require waiting two weeks for shipping :P ) to get these? Or if there is a machinist you could recommend to make them?
I hate to bring this up on the club page, but I've exhausted all my sources...

Thanks a bunch guys,

Dan
redbike

Post by redbike »

Check out Twisted Throttle and Adventure MotoStuff. Also check VSRI (VStromRidersInternational) and click on the handlebars link and go from there - there's lots of discussion about what works. This is for Stroms but the risers will work for your bike too. These are US sites, buddy, but you'll discover that there aint much in Cda for us - sorry!
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Ah yes, the pain of sport bikes, I do remember it well, risers help a great deal. With no pain there is no pleasure....
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

dan if you find a part number or manufacturer ron sais he can look for you to get you a better price than retail.

Bruce...
DoesDerbiCount?

I've been looking into these puppies.
http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/ ... cat_id=268
But I'm not sure if I can get that much slack off the brake cable safely...
They are two inches. :oops:
I'll take anything I can get my hands on for cheap though. Just want to be able to handle longer rides.
Thanks again guys!
redbike

Post by redbike »

Those are prime candidates (Rox) and they make beautiful risers - definitely the ones I would go for. You should be able to get the length you need perhaps by removing one of the cable guides underneath to give you a little extra room. Wouldn't hurt to redo your brake lines though - you can put braided steel lines on. This will give you better control of your brakes and you can specify the length you need.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
DoesDerbiCount?

How difficult/expensive is it to change the brake line?
redbike

Post by redbike »

Its not difficult; you just want to make certain its done correctly: they're your brakes, after all. But not difficult. I can't remember what the stealership charged me for the braided line; I'd get the riser first, slap it on and see if you can rearrange the lines to suit. If not, then you need new lines. The rubber ones will be cheap - more but not outrageously more for braided ones. Go poking around for prices on the net.
Johnny Redbike.

redbike

Post by redbike »

Hey DD: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/203/ Less dough than the Rox. TT are good people to deal with.
Johnny Redbike.

DoesDerbiCount?

Those actually are the most reasonably priced ones for 43 bucks. However, and if anyone has any experience with risers let me know. I'm wodering if the straight up risers offer much in the way of relieving upper back and neck pain over long distances. As opposed to risers like the ROX which go up and towards you. I'm hoping you'll say the standard risers will work just fine for the sake of $$. :P