Motorcycle show this weekend!

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

yuppers that is the one
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Shows OK but it feels a bit smaller this year. I got stung by the "I showed up early but everyone else was still hungover" syndrome. Most of the booths I wanted to buy things from didn't have anything set up yet.

James had a hoot on the electric trikes from Safety City but was a bit intimidated by the Yamaha children's riding school. Maybe next year he will feel more comfortable.

Top Gear snagged one of the best spots right near the main entrance. The three wheeler is there as well the LX retro but no GT retro. I had a close look at the Guzzis as I have a bad feeling there might be one in my (distant) future.
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

I also can say WOW those guzzi's are sweet i like the breva 1100 myself and Tory really liked the Aprilla rsv (i think)and the bmw 1200 something or other.Looks like he wants to get his licence and a bike.What do i do now??? there's no way i can convince him of a scooter. oh well!!

Bruce
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Bruce,
Do what you can to convince him to start with something smaller. Better to gain experience with less CC's and work his way up. I started with a 125, 250, then a 600. I have ridden many 1100,1200,1300 cc bikes but never owned one. If I owned one I know that I wouldn't be here today! Lots of power to handle with little or no expereince and the Safety courses can only teach you so much, the rest of the learning curve is spent putting miles on your butt.....Just my 2 cents

Angelo
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi all

I really enjoyed the show this year. The one thing I wanted to check out that I did not see much of was bike lighting..ie remote activated led strips to act as a brake light on the top case or helmet. Lots of scooters this year at almost every major vendor display. Ok...the yamaha g3 is the ugliest one of the bunch but at least it was out there. A trials bike is still on my wish list after watching the demo again this year. And I still want one of those vstroms. But I am willing to settle for the 650 now vs the 1000. Spend the extra on luggage, shields, and heated grips.

On the topic of bikes and for Torrie's benefit. Like Angelo, I too started small and worked my way up. Now I am working my way down 175-250-400-750-600-150. Car operators just don't seem to understand power to weight ratio. Oh sure, they say they do but you really don't have an idea of what 100 plus hp can do with a 500 lb piece of machinery until you ride it. And you know you are outside you limits about 3/10 of a second before you die. Most small 250cc scrambers will out accelerate the vast majority of cars on the road and unless you are planning on becoming a long distance touring person over night, start small. Not necessarily a scooter (not everyone has our slightly off-kilter internal drummer) but a 250-400 cc standard or dual purpose is almost always a good start. Personnaly I lean towards the duals because when you drop them it is hard to tell they have been dropped. Thats my .02 for what its worth.

Hope you all enjoyed the show. See yall soon and keep the shiny side up.
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

Well Bruce from one Torrie to another Tory...do not let him get a bike with big power....that will be a death trap...There is a certain level of confience and exerience required with some of the sport bikes. I know even on the Ducati 620 this summer, I was surprized at how fast I managed to get up to top speed, and that made me a little nervous, they are a smooth ride, and anyone without some rding under their belts would not know how to handle the many "situations" that can arise.....example

cut off twice, short braked once, asked to race once, car pulled out of side lot directly in front/side of me.....all in one day. Now maybe it is because my scooter is still "unique" to this provence, but I have NEVER had that much "excitment" in one day while scooting...

So talk to him...make him take the safety course first and tell him to ask a lot of quesions....
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Have you ever seen so many V-twin engines? I never realized how anti-V-twin I am. The best looking of the many look alikes was the Victory Motorcycles by Polaris.

That C3 is sure ugly but it has an amazing amount of storage space. What I like is that they are not trying to be a Vespa style scooter, but rather trying to provide what I'm guessing many have asked for, which is more interior storage space. Still, the 50cc is just way too underpowered.

Those Rewaco trikes with the VW engine is sure sweet (six headlights!) but it's practically a car. You need a whole new garage to store it and it seems to have a rather limited use. Touring is kinda out of the question unless you can guarantee good weather, because at that price I wouldn't want to risk any rain. Hell, I wouldn't even want to risk the sun fading the upholstery. But definetely the most unique product on display.

The MP3 wasn't as cool as I had imagined it would be. Still, I'ld love to get one and the price isn't unreasonable.

Bruce, for all the fear you are supposed to put into Tory, there are alot of folks out there starting on big bikes and surviving. Probably unequal to the numbers who kill themselves. Still, it simply makes sense to start small and work your way up.
giddyup
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

teenytinytorrie wrote:Oh sure Shannon, you hop on the forum and everyone talks to you...me I get one liners from Delia...poor poor me.

Anyway...I am hoping the MP3 will be showing in Edmonton, it was pretty neat, great concept....Enjoy the show, I know I had a riot at ours
I have no idea what you are talking about :roll:
Yeah...whatever
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I LOVE Happy Bunny, so rude yet so cute. I currently wear the Happy Bunny patch that says

"You suck and that's sad"

hahaha...so many people smile at the bunny and then the smile fades really fast when they read what is underneath
hahhaaha

of course my all-time fave patch on my fave riding jacket is "scooter trash" and my newly aquired

scooter rides 5 cents :D
Yeah...whatever
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Ahhh Happy Bunny, he's my idol. He expresses my inside voice so well.

Loved the "Scooter Trash" shirt!!! Saw pics of you and Torrie from the Rally Called George. They were great!
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Wouldnt it be fun if the President had to rule by quoting Happy Bunny?
hahahaha

Hey...did you like how i was sporting my pasties that Erin made?

Ok I am a self-proclaimed nut and will shutup for now :D
Yeah...whatever
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Yup, they really helped to enhance the whole "Scooter Trash" ensemble. :roll:

Quoting Happy Bunny might make the President's life much easier. :lol:
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Apparently the three wheel Piaggio was a huge hit. Three hundred people have signed up for a test ride for when they arrive in April. Be a good thing for any one with balance or parking issues.

I went and looked at the GT60 in Top Gear and it is a pretty nice looking machine. If I was in the market for a new scoot, it would be on the top of the list. Dunno why it wasn't at the show.

Me, I love 90° V-twins. Ducks and Guzzis are my favourite bikes.