Good meeting but bad crash

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Good meeting but bad crash

Post by jbcollier »

We had a great get together at Tra Amici with Kevin, Graham, Trevor, Brad and Brad's partner (I am bad with names) all there. My son quietly played video games while we jawed away. It was good to see Kevin and the blue badge again after a long hiatus; six months or more I think. A very nice time and thanks to all who could make it.

Unfortunately Kevin hit a pothole on the way home which deflected him into the curb right outside my house. Fortunately the bike hit the curb not him but he landed on the bike before tumbling onto the grassy verge. He is very sore with bruised/cracked ribs and the scoot is pretty rough as well. I am thankful he is otherwise OK.

GET WELL SOON !!
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Oh my goodness. Get better soon Kevin.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Let us know how you are doing.
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Rick

Kevin update

Post by Rick »

I got news that he is in Trauma unit in Hospital with some internal issues that's all I know right now, Man hope it's nothing serious.
bstanish

Post by bstanish »

Hope you're doing okay and better quickly!
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

How terrible :(

Heal quickly and feel better soon, Kevin.
All hail Emperor Kang!
redbike

Post by redbike »

God damn roads! Its my biggest fear on these little tires - well next to Joe the Plumber's wife (sorry ladies!) on her cell phone in the mini van - they're just so small that anything will grab them.

Hmmm, right outside John's place, eh... hey I've got an idea how we can get you a brand new bike!!!!
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Me thinks he needs a group visit once things settle down for him???
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

More good news and bad news.

Kevin is going to make it. He will be OK. He is recovering from surgery to remove a ruptured spleen. He is in ward 3F2 at the UofA Hospital. AFAIK visiting is OK but not too many at one time, please.

Now that you are all breathing again, here is the story:

In the crash he landed on the handlebars before rolling onto the grass. We now know his abdomen took a big hit. In complete shock, he did the classic jump up and claim to be fine. Police decided not to show but did send a fire truck to clean up some spilled oil. Kevin then walked over to my place looking shaken but otherwise fine.

While I dragged his bike over to my garage, he started to deteriorate visibly. I foolishly took him home but happily did insist that Cathy take him to the hospital "just in case."

At the St. Albert Hospital, they x-rayed him and found no broken bones. However his blood pressure kept tanking and he blacked out a couple of times. After his heart stopped they got him CT scanned pronto and found the ruptured spleen.

St. A's surgery suites were all in use so he was shipped out for emergency surgery at the UofA Hospital. The surgery went well and he is in their trauma unit right now. He is doing well except for an elevated heart rate which they are working on.

All I can say is, "Holy Shit, we were lucky this time. Be careful out there, folks!"

Assuming Kevin is OK and still in hospital, may I suggest the club visits him on Sunday? We can meet at Tra Amici as usual and then head over.
GDOUBLEU

Post by GDOUBLEU »

wow...that's terrifying...igor and i send a huge GET WELL SOON out to kevin. we won't be able to make it to the meeting next sunday due to igor's art show. let us know if there's anything else we can do or send to help.
RyanRumsey

Post by RyanRumsey »

That's some horrible news about Kevin! I'm glad he is going to recover, I hope that it will be quick for his sake. Gosh, you just never know with these roads, eh? Edmonton has the worst streets out of any city I've ever been in in all my life. All the best to him for sure, it's great to see the support for him on here and to see that we all look out for each other.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the wishes and visits, but I've let out, I can no longer be found at the U of A.

SUSIE! (at least i don't have to listen to that anymore)

So, I'm at home now for the rest of the recovery.

Kevin
redbike

Post by redbike »

Kevin wrote:Hey guys, Thanks for the wishes and visits, but I've let out, I can no longer be found at the U of A. SUSIE! (at least i don't have to listen to that anymore) So, I'm at home now for the rest of the recovery. Kevin
Bad business! Happy you are out of the death star motel and on the mend.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
noel

Post by noel »

Hey Kevin,
I missed you and Cathy this year, great to see you back even if you cant keep your bike upright!!. Get well soon
As far back as I can remember I've wanted to be Angelo