Does anyone know a Vespa mechanic they can reccommend?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

modbroad

Does anyone know a Vespa mechanic they can reccommend?

Post by modbroad »

My husband bought me a 1964 Vespa 150 from Thailand that I'd like to get checked over before spring.
Thanks
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Hi there, did you find someone to look at your bike?

Cheers,

Jeff
I was a mod before you was a mod.
modbroad

Post by modbroad »

Nope, not yet. Thanks. Seems Vespa mechanic is a niche not currently filled in the Edmonton area.
Modbroad
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The only shop I can think of, where I would take my scooter if I didn't do my own repairs, is Scona Cycle on Whyte Ave one the west side of the Mill Creek bridge. I have had nothing but positive dealings with them over the years.

I am a little concerned by the "from Thailand" remark. While there are good reputible operators in Asia, there are far more shady ones whose "restorations" leave a lot to be desired.

I hope it all works out well.
Ruthie

Post by Ruthie »

I still lilke Chris from Top Gear on Whyte Avenue. The are alittle pricey, but unless he left them over the winter, I trust him.
"Scooters help us step more lightly on our planet."
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

This thread was started once before about 4 weeks ago, with a few links supplied my a fellow member which outlined areas of concern with some asian importers and what to look for, did you delete your original posting Modbroad?

Angelo
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
modbroad

Post by modbroad »

Many thanks for the help. I've made a date to take my scoot in to Chris. Scona cycle sounds like a good lead, too, though. I'll give them a call. As for the Asian bike warning, I didn't deleat it, but as I've got the Vespa here already, it was a bit late. What I really needed was a mechanic. I was hoping for a backyard type, but seems they're rare.
Modbroad
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The old post is still there. Just hidden in a subject of "SOS" further down the page.

Modbroad, as i explained in previous private messages you made to me, Just about everyone in the Club with a vintage scooter is a backyard machianic of some sort. Between the group of us I think we can fix all the problems we have come across plus many more.

A good idea would be to invite or meet up with a member or two and take a look at your bike as it sits. None of us know what kind of shape your Vespa is in, so it might make it a bit hard to steer you in the proper direction to get it fixed correctly.

I hope Chris treats you right and gets you on the road quickly.
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Yes, if you put out beer and sandwiches, you will probably get a couple of us to show up and tinker with your bike. We can at the very least identify the problems and make some recommendations, if the problem is severe, we can steer you in the right direction for ordering parts.

Cheers,

Jeff
I was a mod before you was a mod.
modbroad

Post by modbroad »

Ha, ha, ha. Yeah, I should have thought of the beer myself. Next time. Thanks all. Hope to meet you sometime soon. I'll shout the first round.

Cheers
Modbroad