Moderator: Moderators

furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

Hey angelo you can say that again

Btw monday at 7 pm same address

Bruce
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

If I wasn't any good at this, I would have starved to death years ago. After thirty years of pulling wrenches I had better be good at it.

Bruce,

Don't ask me to install any furnaces!
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

Deal!!!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

First of all I would like to ask for a minute of silence for the dearly departed: namely one Polini cylinder.

We buttoned it all back together and it didn't start first kick. In fact it took about 8 or ten kicks. Right then, I knew SOMETHING WAS WRONG.

Sure enough after about two minutes running it just up and took off, again. So off with the carb and exhaust to plug them up so we can pressure test the engine, again. Damn if it isn't leaking up the stud hole, again.

Off with its head (Bruce and I are getting pretty quick at this by now), pull the studs and up comes the cylinder (Bruce's third, my second). We then start poking a big light in all the nooks and crannies. Sure enough there is a hole between one of the transfers and one of the holes for the cylinder studs. Yep, a bad casting and machining from Polini!

The good news? Bruce was relieved to have finally found something concrete. Hopefully Dennis can quickly replace the offending cylinder and we can get it back together for Bruce's move.

Good night!
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

Thanks again John for being so patient even thru a gear cable change when we thought it would never come out. At least now i can rest my mind at least we know what the heck was wrong.
Hope to be on the road very soon.

Bruce.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

John,

In your expert opinion... can the hole be plug welded? If it's in the transfeer it shouldn't disturb the bore. You guys have it there so i can't see it. :wink:

Dennis
Last edited by Dennis on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Hi Dennis,

It would be a tough repair as it is more to the mid point of the length of the stud hole. Which also means it is somewhat buried in the transfer too. So while you can see it, it would be very hard to get at to weld.

So, in my not too expert opinion, no, I don't think it could be easily welded.
ScarletBee

Post by ScarletBee »

Doesn't sound like it.
imagine no more winters...
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

deleted