winter storage

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Sebastian

winter storage

Post by Sebastian »

Quick question. If I am storing my bike indoors in a heated space over the winter do I need to take out the battery and empty the gas tank?
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Fill the gas tank, put some fuel stabilizer in it (as per directions), and run it for five or ten minutes to get some of the stabilizer mixed through.

I personally don't pull my battery anymore, but it doesn't hurt to go ahead and do so, so... maybe you should. It's one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" things. :D

That's pretty much how mine go away for the winter anyways and they're in an unheated garage.
All hail Emperor Kang!
Rick

Post by Rick »

I just leave battery in and start it once a month or so.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Here's what I do:

Drain tank, drain carb, pull plug and squirt in a few drops of either two stroke oil or automatic transmission fluid. Give engine a couple of slow kicks. Replace plug. Hook up battery to trickle charger.
Captainwhoopass

Post by Captainwhoopass »

I've heard some people drain the tank, I've also heard it recommended to fill it completely. I fill mine up all the way and add fuel stabilizer and it seems to work for me.
I strongly recommend a trickle charger to prolong your battery life. Unless you ride through the winter, simply starting the scooter will not give your battery a sustainable boost throughout the season and you may have issues come spring. A charger will set you back around $30 (compared to $70 for a new battery) and it's simple enough to remove the battery and put it back in if you are feeling the need for a mid-winter ride.
Its also a good idea to overfill your tires if your going to leave it sit for prolonged periods of time.
If you can't chrome it, curry it.
If you can't curry it, throw it away.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Forgot to mention my heated attached Garage is kept at room temperature all year round that might help me a bunch.