Internet gurus, help required

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Internet gurus, help required

Post by jbcollier »

I have my internet connection through Shaw and my main computer hooked up to the "modem" via LAN and the rest of the house served by an Apple Airport Extreme wireless base station.

Unfortunately, the wireless is located at one end of the house and this results in poor reception at the other end of the house and downstairs. James has his X-Box downstairs and his connection is such that it is difficult to trigger multiple missile launches whilst hacking NORAD.

Other than drilling holes in my floor and running a hard wire, is there anything I can do to improve the situation downstairs? There is a cable outlet there for the TV. Should I get another internet box, or??

Puzzled in Windsor Park
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

If you have access to an ethernet cable running from the first router, you could have another wireless router acting as a slave to the first, extending the range of the wireless network. I have done this once before and it was a gong-show, turned out to be working by fluke mostly.

This is a guide to such an endeavor
http://www.labnol.org/internet/connect- ... ers/13517/

Other than that, you could set up another modem and wireless router and have 2 different networks.

My 2 cents, hope this helps.
Whizzer

Post by Whizzer »

John, get an apple airport express and sync it to your extreame. This will extend your range , acting as a repeater if you will. I have this setup between the house and shop, and works well. The express allows you to stream audio, and network via cables or wireless. It's not inexpensive but works well.
Cheers
Dale
Haynes manual + tools=danger
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The airport express in repeater mode is good when all the devices you want added have wireless.

If you also have some other items you would like to add to the network that only have hardwire connections (eg, home theater stuff) you can get powerline network adapers like this.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/P ... 7(ME).aspx

If really want to get a cat5/cat6 network cable there give me a ring, I've got some neat tricks to get wires into walls and attics..
bstanish

Post by bstanish »

I would recommend picking up another inexpensive router that you can flash and install ddwrt on it. You can then turn up the transmit power on the router and it should cover the entire house. I have managed to turn up the power enough to cover the distance between two buildings that were about half a block apart through 2 concrete walls. Its easy to do and only takes about 10 mins to actually flash the router with the new firmware. If you want, I can link you to the website for it and recommend a good router for the job...I picked up a router at Best Buy for about $40 and the firmware is free to download from the ddwrt project.

Basically you power cycle the router and upload the firmware from your computer to the router...after that you turn up the gain on the router. Easy-peasy.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Buts thats all bad like, and the RF police will come looking for you :shock:

Plus some of the crappy cheap routers get too hot sometimes and shut down when they overheat.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try the cheap and cheerful airport express first and ramp up from there if required.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I did a bit more research and I am running an airport extreme from 2008. There have been two upgrades since then so I will get a new one as well as an express repeater.
bstanish

Post by bstanish »

Kevin wrote:Buts thats all bad like, and the RF police will come looking for you :shock:

Plus some of the crappy cheap routers get too hot sometimes and shut down when they overheat.
The RF police can't find me...over powered signal keeps interfering with their GPS... :D

I've been running this set up for years and haven't had any issues, I actually just prefer the DDWRT firmware over stock firmware as there is much more you can do with it if you want then with the regular stuff.

Oh and I said inexpensive, not cheap :wink:

Either way lots of good answers on here...

Have fun with what ever option you eventually settle on John...gotta get those missiles launched!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

New base station with an express as a repeater and NORAD's generals have been reduced to tears again. Thanks!
Macgyyver

Post by Macgyyver »

Um, next time, just call the Mac Mistress. She will tame your NORAD consuming network, since she owes you already…

~M~
=~=~=
2001 Vino YJ50 2-stroke (Just rolled 26,000kms - yes that's right - 26!)
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom "Blaze"
2006 new to me Vespa LX150 8,000kms with character
2006 hand-me-down Vespa LX150 33,000kms