Licensing test?

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

LibertineAudrey

Licensing test?

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Brrr, it's a cold ride out there today.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be practicing, or what I should know, to take my motorcycle licensing test? I somehow don't think it will just consist of me making it around the block safely. ^_^

Cheers,
Audrey

P.S I'll be taking my training on May 7th, so I'm not doing this completely solo.
teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

I know that in the back of the motercycle learners books there are some standard patterns that you may have to go through if it is a parking lot test...the basic weaving back and forth, an S patters....a tight right, and left turn, stopping on a hill and starting on a hill...(foot should not touch ground once you are going) emergency braking...emergency turning, and a circle left and right....now all that being said if it is a street test then it is pretty basic, they tell you where to go and you go there...watch your signalling (remember to turn it off) and your shoulder checking...a basic street test is really easy so if you get the option go for that one.
LibertineAudrey

Oh thanks so much for the info. The registry place in Sherwood Park didn't have any of the Motorcycle books left when I went, I'll have to find a place that has one. It's also good to know that there's such a difference with the tests, I'll keep in mind for sure. (and I know I'm so terrible at turning off the signal. >_<) Thanks again

Cheers
Audrey
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Hey Audrey,

I'm taking my motorcycle course through the Safety Council on April 27 in Edmonton and will be taking the driving portion of the test on the Sunday. I'll let you know what they tested me on after the test.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Practice slow riding in a safe parking lot, and practice it alot, of all the times that I have seen people fail is because of this (especially on the closed circuit test), It teaches you control....anyone can go fast!

Try to get it to a crawls place without touching down. It is imperative when you are doing figure 8's and trying to manuver around pillons. I think this is one of the hardest skills to learn.....and it will come in handy when we have our slow riding competition at this years rally :D

be safe

Angelo
Last edited by Angelo on Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
LibertineAudrey

Thanks for the link jbcollier, easier than looking for a registry with a book ^_^

Shannon - That's awesome, I would really appreciate that. I'm taking my training the first week of May. I would probably be taking the test shortly after that.

Angelo - Do you happen to have a suggested size/space/measurement that I should be practicing in? I can u-turn in the street in front of our place, but I'm not sure I could do anything much tighter than that. :? I'll keep practicing though for sure, thanks for the suggestions.

You guys all rock

Cheers
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

when I took my road test he set up the cones on the lines of the parking lot so about every 7 feet or so.

Bruce.
LibertineAudrey

Every 7 feet, and you were asked to weave through them? Was there anywhere you're asked to make a circle, or turn around, and if so...what's the diameter of that, approx? Also, where did you take your actual test at? Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure they'll cover it in training, but I'd like have specifics to practice at home so I'm not wasting my money.

Cheers
Audrey
teenytinytorrie

Post by teenytinytorrie »

If you are taking a safety training course they will set up all of the "test" patterns for you...the good news is that you go through them a bazillion times before the test.

The most important thing is to remain calm and controlled. You will be fine
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

You guys/gals have it easy in Edm compared to what they make us do.

Anyways, one really good thing I learned from the BC Safety Council Motorcycle course was this

If you look directly at the pylons, expect to hit them. Look just past the pylons when you are riding and resist the natural temptation to look right at them. It works.

Also, I was really watching and listening to the instructor when he taught tight u-turns. The trick is to crank your head around as far back as you can (comfortabely) before you even start moving on your bike or scooter.....it will feel strange because you have your body pretty much facing straight forward with your hands on the controls, and when you start moving, keep your head turned and look towards the end of your turn. The other students couldnt believe how tight I could turn and they were all asking me how I was doing it.....so I taught them the same thing the teacher did earlier....and it really works.

Other than that, Torrie has the other tips spot on. When you take your test, put on a 'show' with lots of shoulder checks (without being ridiculous) and if you have a helmet with no designs, put a piece of contrasting tape up the back so the tester can see you turning your head.

Good luck and ride safe :)
Yeah...whatever
LibertineAudrey

Thanks for the tips, I would be sure to practice them today if it weren't for the 6 inches of sticky snow covering absolutely everything. >_< I'm gonna try everything you said though, as soon as the weather cooperates
LibertineAudrey

I've been spening literal HOURS practicing around pylons 8 feet apart, and at this point, it looks like there is no way I'm going to pass. >_<
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

8 ft centers is very tight. I don't think you could get the average motorcycle through an 8 ft center slalom course if it was still crated and on a pallet lift. Start at twenty foot centers and, as you feel comfortable, more them closer and closer together.
LibertineAudrey

8 ft IS really tight, I agree completely. It's the distance a lot of people have told me to use though, so I figured it was pretty standard for the exam. Maybe I misunderstood, that's something I would do :wink: I can do 15 ft with no issue, and probably anything around 10 ft. I just want to get this test over and done with so I can go somewhere fun to ride.