New to the forum with a few questions

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

degrassi

New to the forum with a few questions

Post by degrassi »

Hey,

I've always wanted to get a scooter but I'm 6'4" and I was wondering if i'd even fit on one. IS anyone else 6' + here and own a scooter?

I just started checking out some of the store websites to see whats available. I know nothing about vehicles so I plan to take my dad along when I actually go down to the stores.

Which brands are good, which should i stay away from? I"d probably be looking for something in the 2000- 3000$ range.

But the most important thing before I get all excited about getting one is if i'll even fit or if i'm too tall.

Thanks,
Valerie
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Hey Valerie,

Welcome to the forum. I just recently bought a scooter and before I bought it was pretty much like you, not knowing what to get or what would work well for me. Although I didn't run into the height challenge. I was however very lucky to get in contact with a scotter dealer who was able to answer all the my questions, no matter how stupid they were :roll: and finally fit me with a scoot that met my needs, my budget and my inexperience as a scooterist. The unfortunate part is the scooter dealer I'm in contact with is in Kelowna, BC so there were/are some extra hurtles I needed to and are still jumping through before I can ride my scoot. :cry: (All in all these were small hurtles, just time consuming when you live out of town.) If you are interested you could contact Ron at Vespa Kelowna (website: www.vespakelowna.ca)

I have found however, that the folks on this forum are just as helpful as Ron and that even some of the folks at various bike shops have been very informative when asking questions about gear, etc.

Happy shopping!! :D

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Hey Valerie,

Nice to hear from you and welcome. There really is only one way to find out if a scooter will fit you, that is by actually trying them on for size. You have sit on them , move around a bit, see how you feel on it. Last year I went to the yearly motorcycle show and being the curious type I pretty much sat on every bike there, and I only found a handfull that fit ME in particular, but there are hundreds of models and styles. I'm 5'9" by the way.

You could always show up at our meeting place and ask everyone there opinion. We have a member that is quite tall but fits the new Vespa quite nicely...

Good luck
Angelo
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I am sure you could try our scoots out for size too.
degrassi

Post by degrassi »

I know it will eventually come down to having to test them out myself. I was just checking to see if certain models are known to be larger.

When I mentioned a scooter to my mom(I still live at home) she was concerned about safety. She said that will all the potholes this season that it wouldn't be safe riding a scooter. Have you guys found that the potholes are a problem this year? YOu can really feel them when driving so I can only imagine what they feel like with the smaller scooter wheels.

Also, would a 49cc scooter be enough if all I really need is something for fun and around the city streets?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Some of the potholes are pretty deep that's for sure. You have to maintain a proper following distance so you have time to see and react to any road hazards that might appear. Generally two seconds is fine if you have normal reaction time. I am a bit of an old fart, and not the brightest one at that, so I usually go closer to 3 seconds on unfamiliar roads.

It is very, very common for scooterists and motorcyclists to follow too close to the vehicle in front. Because there is practically nothing of our vehicle in front of us, our mind's natural "comfort" zone is much smaller than with most other motor vehicles and their protruding front ends. I sometimes find myself too close for safe driving in my wife's Smart car for the same reason. Every once and a while do the driver ed " one and, two and, three and" to make sure you haven't inadvertently reduced your follow distance.

I ride the smallest Vespa made, a smallframe, and I am/was 6' 1". I say was because successive back injuries have resulted in fused vertibrae and my reduction in height of about an inch. How well you might fit depends on where you are tall: long legs are the problem, not a long back.
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

I'm 6'5" and I find modern Vespa's are the best fit but even used they're probably beyond your $3k price range.

Most modern scooters have enough floorboard to move your feet about, but always try to sit with your knees in. You can even sit back on the seat a bit.
giddyup
degrassi

Post by degrassi »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I can get out and check out some of the stores this week.
degrassi

Post by degrassi »

So is a 50cc scooter enough to ride around the city in? I dont' need it to go on the free ways or highways, just regular city speed limits.

Also, you dont' need a special motorcycle license for a scooter right? How big can you go before you nee d a license?

I'm probably going thursday to check out the stores. I can't wait!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

You do not need a class 6 license if the scooter has:

· an engine under 50 cc,
· an automatic transmission (no clutch), and
· a restrictor limiting top speed to a max of 50kph.

While many 50 cc scooters (49cc actual) are not actually restricted, you can still usually get away with just a class 5.

However, it is a damn good idea to take a motorcycle training/license course. Most accidents occur in the first six months of bike ownership and the courses are designed to help you avoid being one of the many.

An unrestricted two stroke 50 cc is usually fine to 70 kph or so. As long as you avoid the freeways, you will be fine.
degrassi

Post by degrassi »

Yes, I'll be taking a motocycle course if I get a scooter.

Thanks for the feedback!
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi all

As to your question about 50cc and city driving, nocattle drives a kitted 50 (70cc) all over Calgary. The stock 50cc ET2 tops out at about 60-65km/hr and is great on city streets. The 2 stroke ponies up to speed quite briskly. Personal opinion follows. Avoid the 4stroke 50 cc bikes. They are so slow they cant get out of their own way. Its not the lack of a top speed that kills them but their hesitation in getting there.

Good luck, shop smart, ride safe, and always keep the shiney side up.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
degrassi

Post by degrassi »

Its me again with another question :D

I've been doing some research on scooters but i've been getting a bit of conflicting info. Does anyone have a link to the Scooter laws, what is acceptable to drive without a motocycle license.

On some sites it says it says that it has to be between 35-55kg and under 49cc to be legal but yet on the stores websties they have bikes listed over that with comments like "Street legal", "only need a learners to drive".

I also recieved this email from Argyll motors
" Hey Valerie, Brent here from Argyll. Your question is a little more complicated than you'd expect. You can operate a 49cc "moped" in Edmonton with a learners permit or a class 5. Unfortunately the vino is too fast & too heavy to technically qualify as a "moped" with our traffic act. You have the potential to be fined for these non-compliances. The ironic part is, if you operate a "street legal" moped, they are incapable of doing legal traffic speeds...you open yourself to receiving a proper traffic ticket, points et al. Fortunately most of the people in law enforcement realize the laws in regard to scooters are a mess and peruse them accordingly."

So this is why i'd like to clarify as the Yamaha vino has some of the same specs as a few others i've been looking at.

Here are a few that i've been looking at
This one says "street legal" but is heavier then the "street legal amount"
http://www.funmobilityproducts.com/pdf/konker_rtr.pdf

This one says no motorcycle license required
http://www.hallermotorsports.com/streetlegal_retro.html

And here is the Vino:
http://www.riversideyamaha-suzuki.com/n ... c=Scooters

I'm a little confused and would like to learn more about what is allowed and not so I make sure I dont' get a scooter that I can't drive or would get a ticket driving without the proper license. Are any of the ones above ok?

ps: Sorry for all the lame questions :lol:
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Here a summary of the Alberta law:

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFTRA_ ... nformation

I think the short answer is to go and get your license and then you do not have to worry about all this.
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

I'm going to look at the AB laws you posted John,
but my understanding of AB laws is this:
50-50-50-50
you only need a class5 normal drivers license if the motorized 2 wheeler is...
Under 50cc
Under 50kg
Not able to to reach 50Km in less then 50meters.

Most scooters exceed these requirements. The only bikes that I know of that don't exceeds these restrictions are mopeds like 35cc Tomos or Velo Solex's... genuine pedal bikes with motor assist.

I doubt a cop will nab you on this. I got insurance, a plate and registereed without my class 6. But man alive, having my class 6 now lowered my insurance by hundreds of dollars. So it's worth it.

Ok, now to look at the written law.
giddyup