Scooter Defensive Driving

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Sowelu

Scooter Defensive Driving

Post by Sowelu »

I finally completed my motorcycle course at Alberta Saftey Council and passed, so like Audrey, I'm legal now. :D

While taking the course, I think I drove the instructors a bit mad with my questions on how some of the safety things they were showing me applied to a scoot that didn't have a foot brake, etc. As a result I was approached by the head instructor for Alberta Saftey Council regarding a scooter training program. He wanted to know if I wanted to participate in a scooter defensive driving program and if I knew of any other scooterist who might want to help out. I advised them that I'm interested and would pass the info on to you guys.

So here is the info:

Alberta Saftey Council is looking at doing a pilot program regarding scooter defensive driving and are looking for 10 scooterist and thier scoots to try out the class. The class would be free to those participating. From what I can gather it does not matter if you are and experienced rider or a newbie like me, they are looking for feed back from all levels of riders. I would assume that you have your Class 6 as you would need to bring your scoot to the class. At this time they do not have any dates set up as they have not been able to find 10 scooterist with scooters. My motorcycle classes were in the evening after work and on the weekend, so I'm assuming the scooter class would follow the same schedule.

If you are interested let me know by PM or on the forum. I'll need your name and phone number so that I can pass this on to Alberta Saftey Council. If you want to contact them for more info I will have the contact name and number at the Sunday meeting and will post it later (I can't find it right now. :roll: )

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Automatics only? Mine is a manual with a foot brake. If that isn't a problem, I would be interested.

John Collier 433-1270
redbike

Post by redbike »

Would be happy for more training. Full: John Wheelwright. 8 Railtown, 10235 - 111 Street. Cell: 445-9743.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

They didn't specify on what type of scoot. Just that we had to supply our own. I know with the motorcycle course they provided 4 different types of bikes to ride on, so I would suspect that different type of scoots would be okay. After all how are they going to be able to anticpate different situations without having the experience on different types of scoots.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

It's been a long wait, but finally I have an answer about the type of scooter. Alberta Safety Council has advised that a TnG or a manual is fine as it lets them fine tune their program and questions they may get about each type of scooter.

So are you guys still interested? If so, let me know. I'll also need your scooter type, cc and when is a good time to take the course (i.e. week days, week days evenings or weekends). Once I have all the info I will pass on the info to Alberta Saftey Council. Remember the course is free as it is a pilot project.

Shannon
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Manual, 125 cc, after the rally please otherwise anytime given enough notice.
redbike

Post by redbike »

As before, I am interested; am available any time of day or evening, except while i am away in June (24th through end of first week of July, and August 19th, through 28th. Scoot is 250GTSie. Can't change August dates, but am negotiable in July as its just me.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I'm still very interested... I'm free virtually any evening/late afternoon and weekends. I can fiddle with my schedule to make it work if given enough time. I'm on the GTS250ie... 903-6918 is my cell.
All hail Emperor Kang!
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

John (redbike),

Just a reminder to send me the names and phone number of the extra folks you told me about today. I will also need to know if they have a class 6 license and what type of scooter they will be providing if they have one or will they rent, scrounge etc a scooter. Hopefully this will put a fire under ASC to get this course going.

Thanks

Shannon
redbike

Post by redbike »

Shannon: All of these people can be listed through me as contact telephone: Carmen Arth, Alison Lewis, Patti Kehoe, John Wheelwright (yup, I'll friggin' do it - even redundant training is training nonetheless!) 452-9357 (h) 445-9743 (c) Days, evenings, weedends, no preference - we'll be dere.
Johnny Redbike.

coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi Shannon

I will play if you need more folks. Any weekend except rally weekends, Calgary and Kelowna specifically. I can do most evenings as well if need be. Check your private messages for my details.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

As I was "self taught" in the 80s, (and if youv'e ever ridden with me, it shows), I really should take a course.

Jeff Emsley
Class 6
150 cc manual

Cheers!
I was a mod before you was a mod.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Thanks everyone,

I'll send the names off to ASC asap. I'll warn you this project has been a lot of hurry up and wait, but now that we have 10 riders that might push them a bit more to get the course up and running sooner rather than later.

Shannon
redbike

Post by redbike »

Sorry, Carmen & I have mc; rest are standard class 5's
Johnny Redbike.

newby

Post by newby »

You can count me in too. I have a Derbi Boulevard and a class 6. Nancy at 944-5548.