Intro + questions

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Sheena

Intro + questions

Post by Sheena »

Hi guys/gals -

Just a quick intro and a couple questions, if you don't mind! This is my 2nd year on a scooter in Edmonton. I drive a Yamaha Vino 125... am I going to get bashed by all the Vespa and other Italian-made drivers?? I never know! Don't get me wrong, I love the Vespas, it's just that for the price of a 50cc Vespa, I was able to purchase the 125cc Vino, which is a fun scooter so far... don't hate me!! I come in peace!!

So I noticed on the website that this group is part of the Vespa Club of Canada? Does that mean Vespa's only, or...? I don't personally know anyone else who drives ANY model of scooter, and it gets lonely sometimes when I just want to joyride by myself, so I Google'd around for any Edmonton scooter groups and this was the only one I could find. But I wasn't sure if it was just a Vespa-only group, or what.

Where can I find more info on the rally? The website doesn't have too much. It sounds interesting! I hear a lot about rallies in the States on some scooter forums I belong to, but I didn't know or expect that there would be enough interest in Edmonton to have one... exciting!

Anyway, just excited that there actually is a scooter group in Edmonton!
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi Sheena

Welcome aboard. We have vespa, yamaha, derbi, lambretta, and piaggio riders in the club. (Did I miss anybody?) No brand snobs here so you are more than welcome here. Of course we all have personnal preferences on what makes a cool bike but that is the great thing about the club. We have mods, rockers, moderns and classics. Old, young, and a bunch in the middle. Male and female. Lawyers, mechanics, sales people, geeks and trades persons. Pretty much every demographic is represented.

If you aren't busy this sunday AM it is our monthly meeting down at Tre Amici in little Italy. Come on out. I am guessing that some of the conversations will be about the rally (Jun 22,23,24) but the rest of it is just a social gathering. If the weather is nice we try to go out on a grp ride after coffee.

Look fwd to seeing you out some sunday.

Keep the shiny side up

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Hey Sheena,
Nice to hear from you, The fact that I was a big Sheena Easton fan in the 80's has nothing to do with it! :D

Trevor pretty much covered ever brand of scooter that is represented in our club. I believe that there was 1 of each parked infront of our hang out last Sunday. see you soon...

Cheers
Angelo
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Sheena

Post by Sheena »

Oh, phew... was a little worried about brand snobs, to be honest! So now I feel slightly reassured! I don't know about anyone else, but I get super excited when I see any other scooter on the road, regardless of brand... I remember parking mine in a stall at the grocery store and coming back out later to see a nice black Vespa sharing the stall with me... yay!

The Sunday coffee things sound great. I can't make it this weekend as I have a previous commitment, but one of these Sundays it would be great to be out to see all the scooters. Too cool that there's a "scooter meeting place" on Sundays, as I would always drive past that Timmy's on Whyte Ave and see all the motorcycles, and wonder why us scooterists couldn't do something much the same!

This week looks to be awesome for riding (weather's supposed to be great). I've found a few paved backroads just outside of Edmonton with 60 and 80km speed limits, so I'll have to do some joyriding. If anyone knows of any other good spots, let me know!

Thanks, guys!
redbike

Post by redbike »

Hey Sheena! I've never had the nerve to pull into Tims/Whyte - those guys look just too cliquey. No loss though, cause I don't care for the coffee and don't need the doughnuts anyways. I'm a newby too; its a great group and if you can't make this Sunday, plan on the next. We usually meet at 10:30, take care of business and then ride. Last Sunday Trevor guided those who could up and around St. Albert - it was great. You should also set aside the weekend of June 22 for the rally, its shaping up to be a great event and you'll get to meet a lot of folks on a lot of different bikes, even a slightly modded Vino i should think. Thanks for checking us out and you are welcome anytime! Redbike (John)
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Welcome to the club. I'm a neewbie (like John aka. redbike) and I have to say this is a great club to belong too. Not only do we have a good time at rallies and Sunday meetings, but if you are good the repair fairies might just visit you shoudl you have scooter problems. :twisted:

BTW I ride a Debri as the price for a Vespa was a little too much to pay for my first scoot.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

Hi Sheena,

Welcome to the site, I hope we see you at a meeting soon and that you choose to join us for a ride (or join the club! There's patches! ^_^). I think everyone in the club is pretty much just happy to see people riding and enjoying themselves on a scooter, regardless of what it might be.

I too am a newbie, but I've noticed that the more established club members have been nothing but friendly, inviting and accepting. I felt like a real part of the group the first day I met them.

I'd also like to use this time to suggest that we make a ride for the Tims on Whyte one Sunday...there's safety in numbers and I really like Iced Cappucinos :lol:

Cheers
Audrey
DoesDerbiCount?

Post by DoesDerbiCount? »

If we plan on riding in to the tims on whyte one of these days like you said Audrey. Someone must snap a lot of photos! For the reason that it would be funny as hell, and also they would be the last known photographs of us. :P

Derbi Dan

P.S. Welcome Sheena
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi all

Note to the new folks. Wednesday is bike night at the 97th st petro can up by Namao center. Weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. I think I am going to spin down and take in the hardware. Anybody care to join me? I guess that means I have to wash and wax the bike tonite.

I plan on being there around 6:30. Hope to see you there.

Keep the shiny side up.

Trevor
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I have to shoe a horse in the evening, but if it goes well and I'm done in good time, I'll swing by. I doubt I will wash or wax or even scrape the bug guts off my windshield though. Will you be embarassed to be seen with me?

Cheers
coyoteran

Post by coyoteran »

HI all

It was a great nite for a ride yesterday. Headed down to bike night. Checked out this brand new Suzuki 109 with the limited edition Shelby Cobra paint job. Tres tres sharp.

No shortage of neat customs there. Victory is doing a good job of out Harleying Harley if you know what I mean.

Only one scooter though...tsk tsk... :D But it looked good. And it was red...you know, the fast color. :twisted:

Keep the shiny side up all.

Trevor
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

hey Trevor,
I will be there next week. I finally got all the heavy work done in my backyard, which will free up my time again.....I love looking at all types of rides...

Cheers
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

as you all know i was busy untill now with the moving and the house so i am free for now untill we start the kitchen in the other condo which will be soon very very soon..