Sunday Ride.

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

DoesDerbiCount?

Sunday Ride.

Post by DoesDerbiCount? »

Hey all,

Sorry I couldn't make it today. I'm just curious what route you guys took today, so I can sit here and regret not coming!

Dan
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

You guys looked great crusing down baseline heading towards Edmonton. (I passed the group when I was heading down baseline in the opposite direction.)

So how was the site?

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Ahh, that was you going the other way.

You missed a good trek.

We took a small detour and ended up here.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

And how does the ride look for a group ride?
furnaceman

Post by furnaceman »

We checked out half moon lake and decided on south cooking lake because of cost..
we will stop for gas and lunch in sherwood park and then ride out to south cooking lake (about an hour or so) spend some time there return to edmonton via sherwood park down the river valley road to mayfair park stop for a break there (about 1 hr and half from the lake) then head up groat to the BBQ...
The ride was great and roads were nice..
Audrey is going to make out a road route so we can find our way there again

Bruce...

Btw we should have sunscreen for the day too as we got a tad bit burnt.
DoesDerbiCount?

Post by DoesDerbiCount? »

I can't make it out there with my 50... :(
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

HI Dan and everybody else

I would venture that your derbi would in fact be able to make it out there. Its not like we would be taking the yellowhead or anything. Secondary roads, shoulders where applicable to let cars/trucks go by. Methinks you underestimate the capabilities of your conveyance. You can run that bike with the throttle to the stops all day long.

Dan does raise a good point about speed though. Any route we choose has to take into account that not everybody is running a GTS. And even vintage bikes that can maintain a decent speed on good roads are not always suited to run fast on not so good roads. Something to consider.

Keep the shiny side up.

Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

Kevin wrote:Ahh, that was you going the other way.

You missed a good trek.

We took a small detour and ended up here.
I know the area well. When I'm in Edmonton I stay at my mom's house and her back yard ends where Cooking Lake starts. It's a nice ride through the back roads. (That's where I did the bulk of my riding this weekend.)

Dan don't worry too much about the speed, the back roads aren't very busy and I found over the weekend that about 99% of the drivers that take those back roads were quite courteous and would slow down for me or pass me at a reasonable speed and distance. I even found that no matter the type of bike someone was riding you usually got the friendly wave.
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris
redbike

Post by redbike »

I think we can deal with that. It's not a race - at least not for all. I'm happy to hang back to make sure everyone stays in the group. We can also set off in a couple of groups, say the smaller displacements going off 10 minutes ahead, so that the eventual arrival time is more or less the same. Really nice roads, as Shannon notes and none were particularly busy. We crossed the main hwy at right angles and it was the only road with significant traffic. The park itself was practically deserted.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

We will at least have a fast and a slow group. As long as your 50 can do at least 50 km/h you should be fine. What's the rush?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Speed will not be an issue, as i was the example of the slow bike during the ride. Flat out, down hill and the wind at my back we think i was going between 70-75kph (My speedo is nowhere near accurate)

Most of the ride i was around the 65kph range. On the way there, once we got out of the city, basically the only things we saw were plastic animals and bicycles other than the nice greenery. The way back was a little bit different, but we took a more direct busier route.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I'll stick with the slower group as well. The old girl won't be interested in running fullout at 80 kph and quite frankly neither am I. Next year though I might be giving the 250's a run for there money! hahahaha
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I think we all need to remember that it's a speed LIMIT, not a minimum... The roads are quiet enough that even if people only want to/can do 50km it shouldn't be an issue.

Dan, you kept up well enough on the St Albert ride, this one should be no big deal.

I would even consider sticking with the slow group, I often ride at only about 65 KM down those roads, it's a nice change from the white-knuckled-passing-semis-hope-for-the-best-at-115km ride down Hwy 14.

Angelo, what's happening next year? o_O
All hail Emperor Kang!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

LibertineAudrey wrote: Angelo, what's happening next year? o_O
Special project X with some go fast parts :twisted:
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-