Cafe? Motorcycles?

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

nick

Cafe? Motorcycles?

Post by nick »

Hey All,

So I've got a '74 Honda CT-70 that I was planning/saving to get running and road legal for the past year. What I've come to discover is that I'm going to need to spend $1000+ to get the engine running good and the bike inspected. But even after that, I'm only going to have a 70-80km/h trail bike...

My current thoughts are that I'm wanting to get a Honda CB and cafe it. I'm thinking a CB750. But I'm not super knowledgeable in that line of bikes. I've been lurking on kijiji and I think I should be able to get a runner for $1200ish. They come in SOHC and DOHC after a certain year, not sure if there are advantages with one or another..

Anyone have experience with these or have other suggestions(I'm open to other bikes)? I'm browsing now, but am hoping to make a move on something before the weather turns sour.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Stop me if you have heard this before but.....

This

Plus

Equals

Check here for a ride review.
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
redbike

Post by redbike »

Now that is a a very c 0 0 0 l pair o' wheels! And an even better idea to develop a kit that can be used by the average guy in his (her??) garage. I hadn't seen this before. Did you build one or ...?
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

badass
All hail Emperor Kang!
nick

Post by nick »

Those kits are cool! The kit is $2700 plus you need to ship them your tank and a few other bits.. I'm kinda wanting to do things over a span of time. Start with a seat and some clubman bars or clipons. Eventually look similar to this. Then if I get even more deep in it I could change the tank too.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

redbike wrote:Now that is a a very c 0 0 0 l pair o' wheels! And an even better idea to develop a kit that can be used by the average guy in his (her??) garage. I hadn't seen this before. Did you build one or ...?
Wishlist bike. Very doable expense wise. I just need to figure out which bike goes away to make room.

T
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
redbike

Post by redbike »

nick wrote:Those kits are cool! The kit is $2700 plus you need to ship them your tank and a few other bits.. I'm kinda wanting to do things over a span of time. Start with a seat and some clubman bars or clipons. Eventually look similar to this. Then if I get even more deep in it I could change the tank too.
In the fine print, it says the kit won't work on a Honda :lol: plus, ask Audrey if you can buy a horse a piece at a time...
redbike

Post by redbike »

coyoteran wrote:
redbike wrote:Now that is a a very c 0 0 0 l pair o' wheels! And an even better idea to develop a kit that can be used by the average guy in his (her??) garage. I hadn't seen this before. Did you build one or ...?
Wishlist bike. Very doable expense wise. I just need to figure out which bike goes away to make room.

T
I thought I saw your Buggerman for sale at Sportique - a blue one, IIRC.
redbike

Post by redbike »

nick wrote:Those kits are cool! The kit is $2700 plus you need to ship them your tank and a few other bits.. I'm kinda wanting to do things over a span of time. Start with a seat and some clubman bars or clipons. Eventually look similar to this. Then if I get even more deep in it I could change the tank too.
[
In the fine print, it says the kit won't work on a Honda :lol: plus, ask Audrey if you can buy a horse a piece at a time...
nick

Post by nick »

redbike wrote: In the fine print, it says the kit won't work on a Honda :lol: plus, ask Audrey if you can buy a horse a piece at a time...
There are a bunch of companies that make Honda specific parts for cafe-ing your bike, which is where I would be sourcing my parts from. Notably Dime City Cycles. They've got some nice parts for a lot of models.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Remember the golden rule:

Carefully calculate your costs to do, or get done, the work. Include everything! Then double it.

My Ducati cost more to do than a brand new 1098 and I did all the labour. Not saying your's would be anywhere near that -- there's a lot of gold in that them there bike -- but you might be surprised at how things can mount up.

Cafe'd Hondas do look great!
nick

Post by nick »

The plan is if I get this bike, I'm going to sell my Derbi to fund any mechanical repairs, and to make space in the garage. I haven't ridden it all year, and don't plan on it. The appeal of the CB750 is that Honda made if for so long and it has a good record from what I've read. Parts are readily available. I've been reading up a lot on converting this model, and working on them.

Any pointers on what to look for when I go and look at one? Or would skilled eyes be willing to tag along and be compensated via praise and coffee? :)
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Yup, the Honda twins and fours have a good track record and good parts availability. Have you considered a 360 twin?
nick

Post by nick »

I've been looking at all of the Honda CB's. Majority I've seen on kijiji were the 750's, but a 360 twin might be a little more simple to work on myself. Less carbs to sync and such. They still have enough power for highway speeds apparently, so that's not an issue. I've only seen one on kijiji in the past little bit, and the guy wants $1700 for it..
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Make sure to check out the engine and tranny carefully as that's where the big bills can occur.