Lotus Update

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Lotus Update

Post by jbcollier »

I now have all the bits and bobs to completely redo the chassis, brakes and suspension (about $4K). So the next step is to remove the old chassis and see if it is repairable. Please cross your fingers and toes, and touch any available wood -- spouse's noggins are always a good choice -- but don't hold your breath.

I'll get caught up on club work first so there will be a workshop or two in the next month. After that though, I'll be taking a bit of a breather to get the Lotus ready for the paint shop.

Cheers
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

I'm ready
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

You should see the twin link kit*: beautifully made and adjustable. The shocks have adjustable ride height as well as damping. Sweet!

Maybe the Lotus should have the Shonen Knife murals...

* Lotus used the driveshafts as the upper suspension member which applied axial loads to the u-joints, wheel bearings and diff bearings which leads to the first two having to be changed rather frequently. This mod should cure all that. It also makes the switch to the 5 speed a little easier as the driveshafts no longer have to be in exactly the same location.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I haven't had much time at home but I have managed to fit it in at work. So the chassis is still not out yet :-(

However, I have blasted and painted most of the front and rear suspension components and started reassembling sub-componenets with new parts. Unfortunately it was curbed at one point in the past and they fit LH a-arms to the right side. Poop. I may be able to modify them to suit, we'll see.

I'm dropping off the rear trailing arms today for striping and powder coating. Then I'll be able to build up them as well.

Wheels have been blasted and powder coated and the new tires mounted and balanced. I was not impressed with the new tires as they had a fair bit of run-out. I'll probably have to keep it under a 160!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Steering rack and column done now as well. The good news is that I have taken next week off to tackle the chassis removal. Hopefully a little later in that week, I'll be sending out a call for help to lift the chassis out of the body. Fingers and toes crossed that it will be repairable.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

It's winter time so there are slow times at work and I am getting quite a bit done. Wiper motor and mech overhauled and painted, left tail light base repaired, replacement right tail light modified, next the rear hub/trailing arm/axle shaft/shock assembly.

Just received my second parts order from the UK. Here's a few shots of the new alloy tanks:

http://s250.beta.photobucket.com/user/j ... loy%20tank
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Overhauled the heater box though I am not sure I will be using it as I am considering adding AC.

Off to Seattle tomorrow to pick up the new (to me) Europa frame. I have Moby Dick on audiobook. Should be fun.
Yarko

Post by Yarko »

If you need somewhere to stop for the night and you find yourself near Kelowna, my couch should be open.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Thanks Yarko,

Alas, Kelowna is a wee bit off my route.

Cheers
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Back safe and sound with the only tricky bits being on the way in and out of Edmonton !

Whew!
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

welcome back safe and sound.

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Rear hub/trailing arms and the front roll bar and links are now all done.

Next step is the frame...
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Busy at work during the day and with my son's soccer on the weekends. Parts still trickling in (rev limiter yesterday) and hopefully I'll start on the frame on the weekend of the 16/17. Equally hopefully, we'll also finish David's engine that Sunday as well.

I also bought four more steel rims as some of mine were corroded -- ugly, not dangerous. I also scored an original jack and tools (it only cost an arm and two legs).

Happy but broke...
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jbcollier wrote:Busy at work during the day and with my son's soccer on the weekends. Parts still trickling in (rev limiter yesterday) and hopefully I'll start on the frame on the weekend of the 16/17. Equally hopefully, we'll also finish David's engine that Sunday as well.

I also bought four more steel rims as some of mine were corroded -- ugly, not dangerous. I also scored an original jack and tools (it only cost an arm and two legs).

Happy but broke...
you should be fine. You still have an arm to pull yourself around with....

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Finally, finally, finally, I had some time to spend on the Lotus chassis. Angelo came by and helped as well (thank you!). I removed the superfluous body mounts, battery bracket and some weird bracket a PO had added. Cut out and transferred the seat belt, shoulder attachment point brackets. Bent the S2 floor flat and welded it to the main beam as well as welding up a couple of cracks where the beam attaches to the front cross member (now braced by the welded floor).

Next is to remove the S2 shifter transfer bracket (S1 is different and I am converting to a cable shifter, regardless) and fabricate lower arm "covers" (S2 doesn't have them). Then I will mount the engine/tranny assembly, fabricate a rear mount and sort out the cable shifting.

Finally blast, paint and re-install.

Lots of work but a good start today!