Lotus Update

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

nick

Post by nick »

Shotguns are never a gun known for extreme accuracy.. Especially if they only have a bead sight.. I missed my first dozen or soo clay pigeons when I was a kid. When the zombies come I've got about 75 rounds of 12ga and no shotgun anymore. And a 1908 Mauser with no 7x57mm rounds.. :\ I fail at prepping..

Back on topic, the Lotus is going at a good rate!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The frame modifications are done and it is off to the blasters this morning. It will be back sometime this week and then I will paint it with POR 15. Then there will be a call for help and we'll shoe horn it back into the chassis. Build up the running gear and it's off to the painters. With a little (lot actually) luck maybe in June?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

... and I have decided on sticking with the original colour: carnival red. I had several of the local Europa owners over and one came in a nice 70s Elite in the very same colour. It looked fantastic. It won't look as good on the Europa but more than good enough.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The frame is back from the blasters and my volunteering is going through the roof so I decided to let an industrial painter friend of mine do the work. He uses some incredibly toxic stuff that will survive a small nuclear blast as long as it isn't a direct hit: a foot away is no problem. He has wand sprayers that can get right inside as well.

It will be better than I can do and I can use the time getting less behind.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Still waiting for the painter...
djtrane

Post by djtrane »

As soon as I saw the shell, I knew what is was. It's going to be a beauty, at the end of all that work.
2006 Piaggio Fly 150
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Frame's painted. I'm picking it up Monday.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Frame is done and almost ready to go back in. I just have to seal a few seams.

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/jbcoll ... t=3&page=1
redbike

Post by redbike »

jbcollier wrote:Frame is done and almost ready to go back in. I just have to seal a few seams.

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/jbcoll ... t=3&page=1
Looks like they did a nice job, John.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

very nice!
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

I kept the back end of my old frame so I could use it as a guide for the rear mounting holes. The front can't be used as a reliable reference as it was all torn open at one time for some remarkably in-expert welding. So new frame in and back to work to collect the old frame... except it's gone! An enthusiastic metal recycler swooped in and liberated it. Oh poop!

Now I am trying to source the dimensions off the Europa yahoo list. I don't absolutely need them but it would make things easier.

Good news? I found my missing, original frame number plate. It was carefully tucked away in one of my toolbox drawers. Now if I just had the old frame so I knew exactly where it went!

;-)
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Oh darn!

- Dustin Kott-
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Angelo comes through! Yipee!

When converting the S2 frame to S1 specs we transferred the brackets that hold the upper seat belt anchor braces. In the centre of those brackets is one pair of the rear mounting holes. Angelo carefully measured and marked off brackets' positions so I have my reference points!

Woo Hoo!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

And the frame is all attached at the rear. Rear suspension and seat belts to follow. Once they're all sorted, it will be time to fibreglass things back together.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Good news John. Happy to hear that the work is continuing to move forward!
I have time this week if you would like to get high with me on Fibreglass resin and teach me a few things about that kinda work....

- Dustin Kott-