First Rally Reports...can't wait

Chit chat related to the club or scooters in general

Moderator: Moderators

Roy

First Rally Reports...can't wait

Post by Roy »

Hi guys,

hope you're having a blast of a rally in Edmonton this weekend.
Looking forward to reading the first rally reports and seeing some pictures.

I checked the weather report this morning....I really hope that the thunder showers in the forecast won't hit you too badly.

Hope to see some of you guys at one or the other rally this year. Next one for us will be Kelowna.

Again....lots of fun and save rides to all of you!
redbike

Post by redbike »

Well, its a wrap! The 2nd annual Crude City Rally finished off with a fabulous breakfast this morning, hosted, as last year, by John and his wife Janet. Their gracious home, overlooking the North Saskatchewan river valley from Windsor Park, provided an ideal setting for some concluding laughs, fellowship, a few last-minute lies, and the awarding of this year's prizes. Cudos go to the hosts, and all those who pitched in to make the breakfast a wonderful conclusion to a great weekend! The coffee was strong, hot and superb, and attendees noshed on fresh pancakes (with real maple syrup), bacon and a fabulous museli with fresh fruit and yogurt. There was also a mysterious malted beverage in evidence, being touted for its medicinal abilities to those afflicted by a condition contracted the previous evening... :wink:

The rally opening kicked off with a meet and greet at a bowling alley on Friday evening. While nobody actually donned shoes, it was a good opportunity to get to meet everyone, and there were a few who dropped by to introduce themselves as potential members in the future. Good to see you; better when we see you all again! Then off to the Wunderbar and some of the other bars on Whyte Avenue for the remainder of the evening.

While the weather was not as cooperative this year as last, at least we didn't have to dodge the 30-odd degree temperatures and our consumption of sun screen was lower!. Saturday afternoon's ride out to South Cooking Lake began with rain on our departure from Edmonton, but by the time we got to our scheduled gas and lunch stop in Sherwood Park, ("Eat here and get gas"), the worst was behind us, and the group enjoyed sunshine through the rest of the day. The evening bbq at Coronation Park was in full-on sunshine, which may have contributed a little to the "condition" noted above.

I'll leave it to others to fill in some of the blind spots, and I still have to coax my pictures out of the camera, but from my point of view, while rally planning is always a work in progress, it was a great event. For a newby like me, it is always a plus to spend time with others who have far more experience. Thanks, everyone, for their contrbutions, both to our members, and our guests. I look forward to my next meeting with you all again. Redbike
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
coyoteran
Location: X Marks the spot...X stands for danger...two lines crossing over one another means to me...stay away

Post by coyoteran »

Hi all

I just want to add in my .02 here by thanking Kevin(worked his ass off all weekend and didn't get to ride once), Bruce, Audrey, Angelo, Kathy, Shannon, Igor, Jeff, John, and John for all the behind the scenes work that went on to get this thing out the door and on the road.

Charlene and I had a lot of fun (again) this year. Kudos go out to the Calgary crew for once again "bringing the house". Who says any meeting between Cowtown folks and Murder City folks has to be "The battle of Alberta?" (Thats actually not a bad name for a rally when you think of it :twisted: ) Big hi-fives to the folks from Kelowna who, after a long weekend of driving and rallying, looked like they had been ridden hard and put away wet. Which, given the weather, was not too far from reality. I am really looking forward to their rally in August.

Things to remember for next time.
1. Rally Hats (best hat, the dude with the gold lamme lid)
2. Rally hair (best hair, Yan by a longshot)
3. Rally pants (best pants, Noel if there was any doubt)
4. Fireworks for the slow race (Mean and fun at the same time)
5. Don't have a beer before the slow race (Ghymkanna, Long Ride etc)
6. Sleep before and after the rally (because you aren't going to while its on)
7. No matter how early you start planning, most of the work will get done the night before the rally starts so don't panic.
8. If you are drinking king cans, get big gloves.
9. Two words..Wear Sunscreen.
10. If you are having a theme prize, advertise the theme (Whoops)

So now in the aftermath of the weekend, I will be giving my liver a much needed rest and patiently awaiting the arrival of the photo-radar tickets and the opportunity to do it all over again in Calgary and Kelowna

Keep the shiny side up all
Trevor
Vy is it vee get too soon olt and too late schmart?
redbike

Post by redbike »

Yea, and it seems to me that you, Charlene and Cathy were also spied flipping burgers, twirlin' dogs and generally being uber-hosts on Saturday night, if we're going to be complete about it!!!
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I have a few comments about the rally and about my first year scootering in general. I've noticed that scooterists seem to be some of the warmest and friendliest people around. I thought that maybe it was just the ones in Edmonton, but the Calgary, Red Deer, and Kelowna visitors (were there others too?) were all exceptionally nice people to talk to. Good people make for good events, regardless of what actually happens. In my eyes that alone made the rally worth being at.

This was my first rally, and I have to say I had a blast. I'm exhausted now, but it was worth it. My favourite memories include:

-studying how everyone treats/customizes/keeps their scooters, proof that this is an individualists hobby for people who love gatherings.

-the great sense of humour everyone seems to share, shown in the accessories, stickers, patches, buttons and decals that adorned both people and their scoots.

-the riding, especially blasting down Jasper on the way to Whyte ave. I loved the noise and commotion, the looks we got, and the style we oozed. I also will always remember the fantastic sight, as the last scooter of the bunch on the Cooking lake ride, of seeing the entire group ahead of me pour around the corner at the dead end onto township 520. Just amazing.

-the slow ride competition. So nice to see such a great bunch of good sports.

-and of course, the great planning that went into the rally. I especially enjoy how much warning is given in terms of changes in times to the schedule. :twisted:

All in all, I had a really great time. Thank you Crude City for being such a great club that I'm proud to be a member of, and thank you to all the visitors that were so friendly and great guests to the city.

In all the excitement, I didn't manage too snap many photos. If anyone is making prints of what they have, I would love a set (I'll of course pay for them, or trade for a set of my prints)

Cheers!

p.s

so... when's planning start for 2008? :lol:
All hail Emperor Kang!
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

I just got in from Edmonton. Obnoxiously sober. Only two beer waiting for me in the fridge. So I've switched to brewing up a hot cup of Red Rose tonight. It's ok, I'm not riding anywhere.

I feel very mod, very much like the old rally stories in the back of Scootering magazine (I rode to my first rally and it rained the whole way there, then I slept in the mud)

It was an opportunity for me to debut my Vespa at a rally. I've named her ParisHilton because of all the make-up and her bad reputation.

When I left my house at 830am Friday morning with my fishtail on and sleeping bag on the front rack, I felt it was very "Jimmy"-ish. Something that might have been in one of the Quadrophenia sequels, had they made them. (Quadrophenia2 with music by the Jam, Quadrphenia3 with music by the Beat, Quadrophenia4;The Beginning has a soundtrack which includes the Kinks and Steampacket, Quadrophenia5 had music by Oasis but thats when the series got really B-grade. I hear Quadrophenia9 is in the negotiations with the Libertines :)

Anyways I met with Jon, Randy, Phil and Darlene at the Blackfoot Truckstop for breakfast. Noel was there for moral support and to offered roadside assistance if absolutely necessary. Key word here was "absolutely". None of our Piaggio's are more then 2yr.s old so it wasn't thought to be likely. Nick showed up at last minute, but didn't delay our departure any.

It's 276km to Edmonton, straight on Hwy2. 5 of us (all on Piaggio scooters) left Calgary at 10am and took the back roads up. We did 20km of deep loose gravel just outside Calgary. That ate up an hour. Phil's piaggiox9 broke down near Acme. Took about an hour to diagnose a lose spark plug. One of my packs exploded when a bungy gave way, the one with tools, extra screws and bolts, etc., so Nicks empty pet carrier came in handy. Got to Sylvan Lake to have a BarBQ around 1:30. Went in to CO-OP for Hotdogs and buns but came out with the rain starting. Decided to put on slickers and ride it out. It was windy and got really rainy. Mid-ride my rear brake fluid cover came off but I was able to shove in in my sleeping bag without pulling over. Maybe an 45min.s later we outran the rain. We filled up with beer but then during the subsequencial gas fill-up we decided we wern't making enough progress and we should just keep going. Then the rains caught up to us and his time it was really bad. I could hardly see the road when every route north was gravel So heading east the first route north was Hwy 2. Nick's ET4, 150cc, 4stroke was the smallest scooter with a topspeed of about 85km/hr. We could have continued on east to Hobemma (sp) but it was Nick's decision to chance the QE2. The rain remained hard on us but it seemed the wind was semi blocked by all the traffic passing us. Some of the traffic was cheering. The rains stopped in LeDuc. Minorly my front rack which was never really ever secured down properly fell off at a cardlock gas station in LeDuc. Then discovered the crack in my plastic headset had somehow got completed. We got in Edmonton absolutely soaked about 530 or six.

Meeting up at the Bowling Alley was great fun accurately putting names to old faces, and meeting new ones about 50%. Very pleased to see Sean show up with his Mod Vino50. Nice evening ride to Wunderbar.

Another mod moment was deciding sleeping in the cube-van with Sean was my best option for retirement. A lover's quarrel by the van as we got there hadded a certain charmed beauty to the scene, almost Robert Doisneau. Kevin joined us on the flatbed, so it was indeed a rally moment. Then some girl joined us for a beer and a smoke then she left when her boyfriend/fiance/husband came by. Kevin offered to bring us coffee in the morning but we declined. The rain pelted the steel roof all night with an exaggerated thunder. But it was a good sleep. My fishtail makes a great blanket.

That morning I almost decided to pull a MikeP and wear the same clothes all weekend. Not leather but I had cool looking curry stains on my Who shirt. No shower but changed my shirt in lou of deodorant.

I'm not going to bore you with the entire rest of my Live and Let Ride experience, but I really enjoyed myself. A few notes though in certain order...
I really appreciate being rewarded for the hard work the went into my restoration project.
I should have saved the superballs for the slow ride competition; had I know then what I know now.
How did I get fandangled into helping somebody move mid-rally?
Next time, some time, or anytime, I want to sit around the fire and listen to Igor. Calgary rally event (hush-hush)?

The trip up gave our group the confidence to take Hwy2 back. We left at 2, had a long lunch in Gasoline Alley, and got into Calgary around 6pm. We did hit rain as we entered Airdrie but it was gone by McKnight Blvd. :)

We're riding to Amerivespa. This offer is open to anyone. Wanna come?[/img]
giddyup
redbike

Post by redbike »

Some pictures added to Gallery. Apologize for quality. New camera...
Johnny Redbike.

jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Well, what can I say? After an (involuntary) 8 month break away from the club, it is great to be back. And what a way to come back, the rally was awesome, and the reason it was so awesome was all the great people there.

It was a real pleasure meeting the newer members, top people, all!

Calgary and Kelowna, you guys rock as usual, great to see you all again, and I am really looking forward to the next Apocalypse.

Thanks to Kevin, Audrey, Bruce, John, John, Angelo, Shannon, Kathy, Charlene and Janet!

Just a few highlights from my point of view...
Spectacular ride out to S Cooking Lake
Bob "Igor" Dylan
Fireworks
Hookah, mon!
Brunch, mmmmm sausages
A GS, woot!
Gillian upgraded from Pillionbitch to Noob ;)
McKeen's article in the paper today (I asked one of the Calgary scooterists what they thought of Edmonton's road, "RUBBISH" he replied.) Gee, I wonder who that could be???

Thanks again for a wunnerful weekend

JTM
I was a mod before you was a mod.
fallow

Post by fallow »

Thanks again, all, for another great weekend: Whomever happened to run and get veggie burgers for Daaren and I (I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name!), Igor for the firepit, Gillian for tolerating my fireworks (mostly), John & Co for the breakfast I almost didn't get to have, and especially Kevin for the banana!

Calgary owes you all. We'll make it up to you in August, I swear.
noel

Post by noel »

For a bunch notherners you guys fucking rock. Thanks for everything. I was tired and grumpy last night when I got home but after a good nights sleep I spent the day smiling and loving the fact I'm a scooterist. Edmonton cemented its self as my favourite rally, Vegas has nothing on you guys. Where else could Andy trash two bikes in one day only to be lent a third?. Keep up the good work and hopefully we will be given the chance to repay the hospitality in August.

P.S WE HAVE TRAILER SPACE FOR SEATLE.
We leave Calgary Wednesday night (July 11) and drive to Vancouver. On Thursday mornig we ride to Seatle with some of the Vancouver Crew. Its a 5 hour scenic ride and the truck will stay in Van, so travel light.
We leave Seatle early Mnoday morning and hope to be back in Calgary early Tuesday morning. Its only trailer space so you still have to get your self to Vancouver and the cost is $400.
Road trips like these are long and exhausting, but if they weren't worth it we wouldn't do them, please PM me quick if you are interested.
Noel
Whizzer

Post by Whizzer »

Great time! Thanks for making my first rally a blast. Thanks to Igor and Gill for the place to crash. Got to meet a bunch of great people that have a good time with scooters. I think I may be getting the project bug and start looking for a smaller scooter to work on for future rallies.
Thanks again, Dale in Red Deer.
Haynes manual + tools=danger
superpirate25

Post by superpirate25 »

Too bad I missed this one. I only got my bike back in the city on Thursday. Not enough time to get the OPI, insurance etc. figured out. Definitely looking forward to Calgary, and I'm going to check out the first meeting I can make it to!
Mod

Thanks!

Post by Mod »

Hey guys!

Just wanted to drop in and say a big thanks to the Crude City Crew!

Wow what a great weekend! I truly had a blast and met a great bunch of guys and gals! You were all very welcoming - I wish I could have made all the weekend's activities!

Nice to see the Mod influence in Edmonton - Igor, Jeff, Angelo (Italian Mod Target!?!) etc. had a lot of fun chatting and hanging out.

As Cory mentioned it was quite the Quadrophenia memory sleeping in the cube van in the rain! A little too drunk mind – but fun none the less! Thanks for hanging out Kevin - sorry you got so wet!!

Really enjoyed the ride around the city with all the scoots – we sure turned some heads!

Looking forward to seeing you guys down here for our Rally!

Great job guys!

Cheers!

Sean
I wear my wartime coat in the wind and sleet.
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Our soundtrack was Nouvelle Vague, french jazz covers of 80's punk classics.
giddyup
Sowelu

Post by Sowelu »

I've posted pictures in the gallery.

Shannon
"The real danger is not that machines will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like machines." Sydney J. Harris