The Music Thread

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jeffthemod

The Music Thread

Post by jeffthemod »

How about an ongoing thread about "scooterist" music (mod, ska, britpop, powerpop, shoegazer, psychedelic, freakbeat, streetcore...)

Stumbled on this band the other day, good fuzzy freakbeat (think The Gruesomes). Don't hold it against them that they are from Toronto.

http://www.themidways.com/

Cheers,

Jeff
I was a mod before you was a mod.
dave

Post by dave »

Ya I'm into this. I lissen to a lot of internet radio. Three really good ones are Mod Radio and Scooter forums Radio. You can find them on www.live365.com
and I also like Mary Fox Northern soul and Motown She can be found by Google Have for will post more Dave the D.J.

O YA AND WHAT'S NORMAL THEN
Dave the DJ
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Does anyone know who sings the song on the maynards swedish berry commercial? Damn catchy!
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Major Maker a Bulgarian/Icelandic duo from Toronto does the tune.

No kiddin'

Jeff
dave

Post by dave »

OK Here we go. I picked up a copy of The Who Quodrowphia Live DVD at HMV for about $50. It is a three DVD set Quodrowphai Live, Tommy Live and a live hits contert in the states I think. The extras are also well wirth it. The making of Quadrowphia it well worth a lissen. I give it five :D :D :D :D :D out of five. What do you think???? Dave The DJ
Dave the DJ
redbike

James Hunter "People Gonna Talk"

Post by redbike »

Yummm! Brit; Blues (yup, brits can play da blues) on Rounder Records.
Johnny Redbike.

We, the unfortunate, led by the unqualified, to do the unnecessary for the ungrateful.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

jeffthemod wrote:Major Maker a Bulgarian/Icelandic duo from Toronto does the tune.

No kiddin'

Jeff
I googled the commercial and it came up "Lindy and Major Maker" as the artist. Can the Guru jeff confirm this?

- Dustin Kott-
dave

Post by dave »

Ha Angelo Do you have www.soulseek.co ??? You may be able to find in on that down load site. I think its out of the U.K. Its great for Northern Soul. give it a shot or look it up on www.allmusic.com Later
Dave the DJ
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Cool. thanks dave!

- Dustin Kott-
dave

Northern Soul Cds

Post by dave »

OK The Best Music in the World has to be Northern Soul. Two of the best are www.amazon.co.uk/Crowd-Story-Northern-Soul and www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Northern-Soul-All-Nighter-Ever. You can pick these cds up throw HMV but it will take up to six mounths Northern Soul in an under ground music scene for collectors of rare vinal records but this has all the big hit on it Frankie Wilson, Jackie Wilson, R.Dean Taylor and Edwin Star. They are both floor fillers. The in Crowd, Not as well known tracks but every bit as good FIVE OF FIVE :D :D :D :D :D a MUST HAVE. for any Soul nut like my self
Dave the DJ
lordhaha

Post by lordhaha »

Of the recent Mod influenced bands, I like Ocean Colour Scene the most.
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Angelo wrote:
jeffthemod wrote:Major Maker a Bulgarian/Icelandic duo from Toronto does the tune.

No kiddin'

Jeff
I googled the commercial and it came up "Lindy and Major Maker" as the artist. Can the Guru jeff confirm this?
Lindy is one of the guys in the band, Lindy Vorpfjord, he is of course the Icelandic half of the duo.

Next question? Fire Away!

Jeff 8)
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Northern - I have always liked Northern, but I have to be in the right place physically and mentally to really get into it. Dancing, preferably. My favourite Northern tune has to be the Marvelettes version of "I'll keep on holding on". Brilliant tune.

OCS - Great band, too bad the music press seems to despise them and slag them off as dadrock. Speaking of mod-influenced bands, most have probably checked out The Ordinary Boys, but have you given a listen to The Rifles? Check them out.

Cheers,

Jeff
LibertineAudrey

Post by LibertineAudrey »

I've been really digging a band from Coventry called The Enemy...

I especially like the tracks "We'll Live and Die in These Towns" and "Aggro"

I also recently checked out The Holloways, nothing special...They're a "shuffle" band. You know, you don't ever choose to listen to them, but don't skip the track if it comes up on shuffle.

Cheers.
All hail Emperor Kang!
dave

Post by dave »

Ya ok The Enomy have that 8Ts Punk sound. I can only do so much punk. It helps if I'm pissed off at some thing. Stiff Little Finger works for me,(At The Edge) A great place to look up music on the net is www.allmusic.com give it a go. Also have a lissen to the Younghearts; A Little togetherness great 6Ts Soul Sound Later Dave
Dave the DJ