The Music Thread

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

dave

Post by dave »

Thanks for posting. I grow up in Scotland came over here when I was 18.In 1986 So sorry I never cot the band your talking about Is your all mod cons a Japanese import that would be very cool. I have Thats Entertainment and Start on 45 single picture cover Japanese Import but thats enough bragging my top ten singles are Jackie Wilson - (your love keeps lifting me) Higher and Higher.
The Velvelettes - Needle In A Haystack
Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply (My Wedding Song)
The Style Council - Your The Best Thing (My ingagment Song)
The Reflections - Like Adam and Eve
The Jam - Down In The Tube Station at midnight
Dexys Midnight Runners - The Celtic Soul Brothers
Stiff Little Fingers - At The Edge
The Jam - Going Underground (It went state to number one)
The Who - 5;15
Dave the DJ
RyanRumsey

Post by RyanRumsey »

A girl I know who is part Norwegian made me a mix cd of Norwegian beat groups from 1964-67 for my birthday recently (I can't believe I'm 30 already!) and I must say, there were some pretty damn good mod bands from Norway in the 1960s! One band I just love is The Pussycats, you have to check them out. There are too many great groups to mention them all here, but if anybody wants to hear this stuff let me know and I will make some copies of the cd for you.
Hooligan

Post by Hooligan »

The only Norwegian band I know of is Haggis, and their most recent album is pretty much the best new thing I've heard in ages. Helps if you're into hardcore, metal or oi, though.

Our Mercury sadly broke up last year, but they were AMAZING. There's a few mp3s on their myspace page, and you can find the 45 they put out near the end at most fine record stores in the city (Sound Connection, Freecloud, etc). You mod music fans'll probably like 'em. They started out as a basic punk rock band but started rolling in more and more soul and reggae influence as time went on.

http://www.myspace.com/ourmercury

...And for the record, At The Edge is BY FAR the best SLF song. I could listen to it over and over, and often did when I was in high school.
dave

Post by dave »

Thanks for the link. It's really hard to pick just ten. Theres the Pogues so many great songs Marvin Gaye Soul God, The Clash and The Redskins but top five Albums The Jam - Dig The New Bread (Live) The Style Council - Caf'e Blue Cher - Heart of Stone The Who - Quadrophenia (soundtrack) and The In Crowd The Story Of Northern Soul
Dave the DJ
dave

Post by dave »

Any one into Northern Soul take a look at this Mr M and the Alnighters. Theres a link on the VCOC not scooter related. There is also some thing about them on Face book
Dave the DJ
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Gheoghe Zamfir is master of the pan flute. Kinda puts all those other pan flute players to shame.
giddyup
dave

Post by dave »

So Northern not your thing then. Lets all get jiggy with the pan flute. Get down with your bad self Brother
Dave the DJ
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

Greek pan flute is the natural progression from Northern Soul. It's MODern.

Kinda like how the SexPistols paved the way for the BritneySpears attitude/lifestyle and the Milly Cyrus total compliance.
giddyup
jeffthemod

Post by jeffthemod »

Wot about digeridoo then?

Johnny Whiteant is the BB King of the outback!

jiggie wa wa jiggie jiggie wa wa jggie wa
I was a mod before you was a mod.
nocattle

Post by nocattle »

I'm just having fun with you, Dave.

Check out 5starAFFAIR, a local 2tone/ska act that features a didjereedoo-thing-a-ma-bob.
giddyup
dave

Post by dave »

Micheal Jackson sold this for "wanna be startin some thin" and now is on please don't stop the music It's just the Ausie verction.
Dave the DJ
dave

Post by dave »

It's all good but for a min I thought I had said the wrong thing ok you got me Later
Dave the DJ