Lotus Update 4332 & 1/2

Offtopic discusion goes here

Moderator: Moderators

jbcollier

Lotus Update 4332 & 1/2

Post by jbcollier »

Lots and lots going on and the $$$ are just flying out the door.

- Sent my cam to England, of all places, for a re-grind. A chap there, who lives and breathes cross-flow Renault, had a good recommendation for a fast-road grind and most over here were applying standard performance grinds developed for other engines.

- The followers are off to California for re-surfacing.

- The cylinder head and crankshaft are off to The Block Shop for inspection and re-working.

- TBS will also soda-blast the block, head and transaxle cases.

- pistons and liners came from France --via Greece -- (on the English chap's recommendation): forged, high-comp with full floating pins.

- connecting rods from Australia: high-zoot, low-void alloy, h-beam with ARP bolts.

- just arrived today the Torsen diff for the transaxle (from the UK). That alone was as much as a scooter!

Now I wait to hear from TBS as to what's required and then I'll order bearings, valves and what-not to suit.

Still no word from the body shop so I expect it is on the slow burner. I'm not going to fret much until the engine and transaxle are complete.
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

Man and I was worries about an inlet Manifold! Ha Ha

Glad to hear that progress continues (so easy to say as you spend your money!)

When all is said and done it will be another show stopper....
�Long live vintage motorcycles that are too tough to die...�

- Dustin Kott-
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Talk about a 'world car'... this is turning into a true international build. Is there anything you need from the States that i can bring back for you?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Just any cash you might find lying around.

;-)
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Just placed a $2500 order with a French company for engine and tranny parts.

Ouch!
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

... good news is that I got my block and tranny cases back from TBS already: nicely soda blasted and ready for a coat of paint.

Still have to track down a flywheel for a 215 mm clutch before I can get everything balanced.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Despite all the money clearly flying around L.A., I have not seen any lying around... just homeless people. I guess I could ask them for some...

$2500 for French parts? Does that come with a glass of wine and a cheese plate?
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

The really scary part is that it's for a whole bunch of little stuff, pistons & sleeves, rods, etc, I bought elsewhere.
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Made my first visit to the body shop today and things are well in hand. I'm pleased with the work and it looks like it might all be done within a couple of months. I also made my first payment. For some reason everything seems to cost around $2.5K, with, of course, more to come!

Mecaparts has confirmed my order and it should be shipping next week. That, combined with a flywheel out of Florida, should mean that I'll have everything to hand to finish the engine and transmission. It looks like the head will require a lot of (careful) work on the ports and chambers so no bars or wild women this year either.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

And here we were hoping you would drive us to bars full of wild women in the Lotus...

Just saw an episode of Emergency! (don't ask why) with a crashed yellow Europa. If you look, you can get a fair census if what was then popular on California streets by watching episodes of Emergency!, Adam-12, etc. . Made me think of your car, except yours looks better, even disassembled and in primer...
jbcollier

Post by jbcollier »

Further to my efforts to get you all to your preferred sex of the wild and willing, my Meca parts order finally shipped. Woo hoo!

It's quite nerve racking trying to order multiple $Ks of parts in an unfamiliar language.